Questions Regarding Brumation

bergmite

Hey all,

I’m thinking my 1 year old male bearded dragon Toast is starting his first brumation. He has many signs of it, but there are a few behavioral things that I’m still a bit confused about so some insight and opinions would be very appreciated!

Information about his husbandry:
Tank - 40 gallons.
UVB - Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO 24-watt bulb. It’s in a reflective hood. Recently replaced the bulb as well (I try to replace it every ~3 months).
Heat - Repti Basking Spot Lamp 75w, white bulb.
Substrate - Ceramic tiles. Hot side is 93-100 degrees, cool side is ~87 degrees.

Diet:
Insects - Discord roaches and crickets depending on what’s available. 3 times a week.
Salad - Staples are yellow squash and collard greens, but I also mix in kale or arugula occasionally. Baby carrots are his favorite, so a couple of those a week as well. Salad is every morning.
Supplement - Repashy superfood calcium plus. Sprinkle this on the salads + dust insects.

Okay!! Now for the actual post. Toast has historically only spent time on the hot side of his tank, so when he started hanging out on the cool side a bit over a month ago it was very weird. Leading up to this, he had a great appetite. He would eat at least 2 of his salads a day and never refused a single insect. He had outgrown the hide I had for him on the cool side, and as soon as I put a new hide in, he went into it. I know that spending time in the hide and on the cool side can sometimes indicate illness, but nothing about his behavior changed. He still pooped regularly, he wasn‘t black-bearding, gaping, etc. The only difference was that the eating slowed down a bit. He only picked at his salads, but still went crazy for any insect. His routine basically turned into this: He would spend most of the time in the hide, but come out to pick at the salad or lay in the light for a few hours, and then go back. I’ve also been keeping track of his weight, and there has not been much change.
7/17/22: 436.6
9/15/22: 448
(He started going into his hide in August)

What confuses me about the behavior is he’s not actually sleeping. When he goes into his hide, he’ll do a complete loop and sick his head out, and just lay there with his eyes open. I’ve just been assuming that it’s likely brumation, and I haven’t been too worried because he still eats and poops and seems content, but I wanted to check in here and make sure this isn’t something I should take him to the vet for.

Thank you for reading!!

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hey all,

I’m thinking my 1 year old male bearded dragon Toast is starting his first brumation. He has many signs of it, but there are a few behavioral things that I’m still a bit confused about so some insight and opinions would be very appreciated!

Information about his husbandry:
Tank - 40 gallons.
UVB - Zoo Med Reptisun 10.0 UVB T5 HO 24-watt bulb. It’s in a reflective hood. Recently replaced the bulb as well (I try to replace it every ~3 months).
Heat - Repti Basking Spot Lamp 75w, white bulb.
Substrate - Ceramic tiles. Hot side is 93-100 degrees, cool side is ~87 degrees.

Diet:
Insects - Discord roaches and crickets depending on what’s available. 3 times a week.
Salad - Staples are yellow squash and collard greens, but I also mix in kale or arugula occasionally. Baby carrots are his favorite, so a couple of those a week as well. Salad is every morning.
Supplement - Repashy superfood calcium plus. Sprinkle this on the salads + dust insects.

Okay!! Now for the actual post. Toast has historically only spent time on the hot side of his tank, so when he started hanging out on the cool side a bit over a month ago it was very weird. Leading up to this, he had a great appetite. He would eat at least 2 of his salads a day and never refused a single insect. He had outgrown the hide I had for him on the cool side, and as soon as I put a new hide in, he went into it. I know that spending time in the hide and on the cool side can sometimes indicate illness, but nothing about his behavior changed. He still pooped regularly, he wasn‘t black-bearding, gaping, etc. The only difference was that the eating slowed down a bit. He only picked at his salads, but still went crazy for any insect. His routine basically turned into this: He would spend most of the time in the hide, but come out to pick at the salad or lay in the light for a few hours, and then go back. I’ve also been keeping track of his weight, and there has not been much change.
7/17/22: 436.6
9/15/22: 448
(He started going into his hide in August)

What confuses me about the behavior is he’s not actually sleeping. When he goes into his hide, he’ll do a complete loop and sick his head out, and just lay there with his eyes open. I’ve just been assuming that it’s likely brumation, and I haven’t been too worried because he still eats and poops and seems content, but I wanted to check in here and make sure this isn’t something I should take him to the vet for.

Thank you for reading!!
cool side is ~87 degrees too hot for day time it needs to be lower like lower 80's --- the UVB is in the tank or top of screen? what kind of screen ? fine mesh or a wide hole type- the UVB's expiration is approx one year I recommend a 11 months or before--
the surface basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?
Most dragons slow down on eating in the fall and the behavior of him going into the hide w/ his head sticking out is normal behavior mine do it -- and their appetites have also decreased over the last month or so as well

bergmite

Original Poster
cool side is ~87 degrees too hot for day time it needs to be lower like lower 80's --- the UVB is in the tank or top of screen? what kind of screen ? fine mesh or a wide hole type- the UVB's expiration is approx one year I recommend a 11 months or before--
the surface basking temps are being taken w/ a digital probe thermometer?
Most dragons slow down on eating in the fall and the behavior of him going into the hide w/ his head sticking out is normal behavior mine do it -- and their appetites have also decreased over the last month or so as well
Thank you for letting me know about the heat! I’ll adjust the lamp tomorrow. I might have guessed it a little high for the post, so I’ll double check when the lights are back on in the morning. There is no screen on the tank— we don’t have any other pets so there’s no worry about anything getting in. I take the temperature using a heat gun from home depot.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Thank you for letting me know about the heat! I’ll adjust the lamp tomorrow. I might have guessed it a little high for the post, so I’ll double check when the lights are back on in the morning. There is no screen on the tank— we don’t have any other pets so there’s no worry about anything getting in. I take the temperature using a heat gun from home depot.
Please get 2 digital probe thermometers they are the most accurate - IR guns are good but often are thrown off by materials made for basking decor

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom