Questions on Safety and Health of Viv Setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kristubs

Hello everyone! I'm new here and new to beardies, I'm trying to make sure I'm doing everything to my best ability. I am going to attach some images of my current setup and am curious on everyone's opinion. I just purchased a fluorescent lighting fixture however it was designed for a 30 gallon tank. I am currently using a 40 gallon tank. I've cut a plastic tubing to be the 4th support point for this lighting fixture. My beardie's basking spot is about 8 inches below the UVB tube(reptisun 10.0). Does the basking spot need to be directly under the UVB, is it too close? Can a beardie get too much UVB? The heat lamp is about 12 inches away from the basking spot and providing a good 99.5 Fahrenheit.

The plastic tube providing support seems relatively safe so long as no one was to fall onto the tank.

Attached Images:

b2ALzQv.jpg

p6LLAFu.jpg

BduirJ6.jpg

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That looks pretty good to me. If the UVB tube is a T8 the 6-8 inches is the proper distance. With a T5 high output you'd want it to be more like 12'' away. I'd move the basking light a little bit closer so you can hit maybe 105 or so on the basking surface. You want the range to be about 100-110 for a young dragon.

Kristubs

Original Poster
Thank you very much CooperDragon! It is in fact a T8. :D
I will definitely monitor the temperatures closely because at the time that I last looked Brock was actually sitting nearly on top of the probe. You were one of the people who responded to my thread about Brock possibly having yellow fungus, thank you for the continued help! Love the community here :)

Taterbug

BD.org Addict
Dragons probably can get too much UV, you certainly don't want him right up against the bulb, but our artificial lighting is generally too weak to cause a problem if it's used correctly.

Your little one may appreciate some more climbing furniture - he has a lot of empty sauce. they like to climb when they are small and it will help give him some more options for thermoregulation and things to do. I use dry branches/sticks from outside, you can bake them to kill any nasties before putting the, in.

I'm not sure how secure the post is, but once he gets a little bigger he may be able to knock the light down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FalkorBeardie :3
Top Bottom