Questions from a new owner!

Status
Not open for further replies.

vader111

Hey all,

I am a new bearded dragon owner. I have have owned leapord geckos, a couple scorpions, some turtles and list goes on. However, this is my first bearded dragon. The already 3-4 year old dragon was given to me by a client of mine who was downsizing and didnt have room for him anymore. I happliy took him off her hands. I also bought The Bearded dragon manual by AVS books, and finished it in one sitting. I attained the free aquarium, a basking "mini-tree," and a thermometer with Chuck. After reading the manual (which didn't cover agression towards new owners), I also realized that the 27-30 inch long tank was extremely small for an already fully grown and large male bearded dragon, also with no shade incase he needs to cool down. I went out and bought some cover and have been searcing for cheap 40-45 inch tanks (which i plan to attain soon.) I can only assume that he dosent know me, his surroundings, etc. and is very suspicious of everything. He is always watching me, so I guess he just needs time to get used to the new place. I have been feeding him giant mealworms which he eats pretty well, and lettuce which seems to be his favorite. He is VERY active, attentive, and aware which is a sign that he is indeed healthy. It also seems like he is trying to get out, or actually wants me to take him out, but when I try he definitely shows signs of being threatened and even tries to bite and run away. I do know he is sacred of me because when I did manage to get him out, he tries to run from me. He even hisses and turns his beard black. :shock: Any suggestions? I am open to anything, including any advice you would shoot to a new owner! Thanks! :blob5:

With him being 3 to 4 years old and having one previous owner and going to a new home he is under a great deal of stress. Just give him some time and before you know it he will be begging you to hold him. One thing that I have learned through this site and some books I have read is that when you go to pick him up go from his side and not from the top. If you go from the top of him he will think he is getting attack be a predator and will try to run away. It sounds like you have been learning a fair amount about beardie care which is a very good thing. With the meal worms your feeding him, meal worms have the possibility of impacting your beardie which can lead to serious illness, so try to cut back or completely stop feeding your beardie the meal worms. If you have a bunch of meal worms left over and want to get rid of them you can cut their heads off before giving them to your beardie, because if your beardie doesn't throughly chomp up the meal worm their heads can actually eat at your beardies stomach. Anyway I hope this has answered some of your questions and feel free to ask more. And also we love pics :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom