Questions about medicine from vet

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello. I just got back from the vet and she prescribed my beardie some medicine because my beardie has a weird yellowish brown bump on one of her scales. She said its most likely fungal. A few days after the bump I noticed her eye was watery and liquidy so the vet gave me stuff for that as well.

I tried googling the medicine to find more about it but I didn't find much so I was wondering if any of you on here know about it. For the bump she gave me Dermachlor Rinse Chlorhex to dab the spot with twice daily. It's for topical use. For the eye I have Ciprofloxacin Opthalmic Solution, USP 0.3%.

The directions for the eye solution says "as with other antibacterial preparations, prolonged use of Ciprofloxacin may result in overgrowth of fungi." (the solution is for humans too it doesn't say that under the animal section )

I haven't used it at all yet and her eye looks a little better from the other day but after reading that it may result in fungi I'm really nervous since she may already have a fungal problem with the bump. Should I use it or wait it out?
Which makes me worry because I don't know if the topical solution for it will help her internally. I don't know if its internal too or just external fungal but the solution is only for the bump.

I'm sorry this is so long I'm just so worried :( (I just added photos to the bottom of the discussion)

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The ciprofloxacin is just an antibiotic that is commonly used. The chlorhexidine solution is a topical antimicrobial which may be helpful depending on what the issue is with the scale. As far as the scale goes, can you post some photos? Did the vet take a sample for analysis? A skin sample is the best way to find out what's going on and start a treatment plan.

TheDragonborn

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3kc68dea said:
The ciprofloxacin is just an antibiotic that is commonly used. The chlorhexidine solution is a topical antimicrobial which may be helpful depending on what the issue is with the scale. As far as the scale goes, can you post some photos? Did the vet take a sample for analysis? A skin sample is the best way to find out what's going on and start a treatment plan.

I will take some photos in a few. The vet didn't take a sample she said to use the solution and then in three weeks if it doesn't get better she will do either a partial or full biopsy on the bump.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
OK sounds good. Keep a close eye on it and let the vet know right away if you see it start to spread, look worse, or appear in a new area. If it is fungal, it's MUCH easier to treat successfully if caught early on.

TheDragonborn

Original Poster
I definitely will keep an eye on it. Should I wait and see if her eye is better tomorrow to use the eye drops? Because the information about it causing an overgrowth of fungi made me nervous. The vet said the bump looked fungal and I think so too. She's had the bump for about a week so the fact the vet told me to use the topical solution and wait made me nervous too.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm not sure what that spot is just by looking at it. I think a test may be a good idea. Start in with the topical ointment and see if that helps. I don't think it will hurt to hold off on the eye drops until tomorrow if you want.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom