Questions about food before buying a beardie. HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone :study: :study: :study:

I currently live in Cuzco and I have been wanting a dragon for a verrrryyyyy long time! I would have already gotten one, except there is one slight problem and I need to know if there is any solution.

I would like to start off with Juvi beardie so I can see it grow and have it bond with me, however, I know that beardies at a young age need a lot of protein. Where I live, there aren´t too many insects, or at least the ones eaten by beardies.

If they just rely on vegetation, I would need to get calcium and protein powder for it, correct? If they can eat ANY type of insect, then I can find that here, but so far, the types I´ve seen your beardies eat, it is only available in the capital city of Lima (which would mean buying it and having it shipped = more expensive than it should be).

If it always need insects, then would it be best I start off with an adult, as I read they eat more vegetation than insects. If so, how young of an adult should I get? How big would they be by this time?

Are there any other solutions out there?

I would really appreciate it any answers you have for me. :D

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there.....yes, babies need lots of protein every day. Have you checked with the places that you say the insects could be shipped from to see if it's affordable and what types they have ? If it's out of the question, then you can go with an adult, but they still need some protein. A dragon can be near adult size at 10-12 months old,[ 17-20 inches ] but that depends on the genetics and how well it was fed during those months. Otherwise they are pretty much done growing by 18 -20 months. Calcium powder is needed for both babies and adults, but less of it for the adults.

You also may be able to breed insects like superworms, meal worms, or crickets so you don't have to rely on getting food from outside sources.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom