Question regarding getting a bearded dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

map1199

I have been poking around the website to get information.

I am looking at both a Uromastyx and a Bearded Dragon for my 10 y/o for the holidays. Please be aware my husband and I are the one's that really take care of all the animals. We currently have a Moroccan Uro and he is a bit skittish although I have been working with him slowly. We purchased him in August from a pet shop. Honestly care wise the Uro is very easy but the live food worries me for the Bearded Dragon. Can I get an idea how much per week is spent to upkeep your bearded dragon? Any information would be great.

Thank you.

Mary Ann

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Hi There,
A baby dragon should be given greens and crickets every day. Sometimes twice a day. I have seen babys or young dragons go thru 6 to 30 or 40 crickets in a day. Each 1 is different.
Feel free to check out the care page on this site or clock the dragon in my banner and it will take you to my website. The care page is very simplistic.

DesertIsis

Hello!

My BD is still quite young so the costs are most likely still on the low end.
I buy crictets about once a week to a week and a half for about $3 for 50 of $4 for 75.
The pet shop I buy from also makes their own salads every day for their numerous veggie eating reptiles and will sell the extra, So I buy that when I buy crickets for about another $3. So I'll spend $6-$7 per week.
I'm considering starting my own colony of Dubia Roaches (a better food source) to take away the cricket costs.
Feeding the crickets (or dubia roaches, which ever you go with) Isn't too expensive either. I use Flunkers cricket food and gel water now ($3 each).

For me, the priciest part of getting a Beardie was the initial purchase. (Around 300 or so for the dragon, tank and supplies)

Hope this helps!! :D

bltkpo

Juvie Member
Well, as a baby, we fed Bindy as many crickets as he would eat in a 10-15 minute period, twice a day. Each feeding, he ate 30-40 crickets. Whilst offering him salad (he never really ate it, but I preferred because it was a lot cheaper!)

Now he is about 7-8 months old, and eating as many crickets he will eat in a 10-15 minute period ONCE a day. We have noticed a saving in cricket money, and we offer him salad throughout the day.

For us, crickets are $8 for 100. There is also a bulk order deal, 1000 for $30, and though this would save us a LOT of money, we don't have the room for them all. Shop around, or look into ordering bulk if you are going to use crix as your staple.

Just note, as far as babies/juvies go, they require a lot more protein than adults. This may contribute to your decision on what age of beardie to buy. Young ones definitely seem to be of higher maintenance, as that first year they eat like horses, so they grow :)

nini02

we got a juvie for our 9 year old son (like you, we take the most care of it, but make our son give him his salad and fresh water everyday). it was really out of our hands what age we got, but im glad we didnt get a baby. they seem to be so much more fragile (and more expensive to keep the feeders up). we feed our bowser med/lg. phoenix worms. hell go thru 1000 in two weeks...we order them thru the site recommended on this site, phoenixworms.com. for the 1000, it runs about $42. we buy hornworms as well for a treat and its the only way hell eat the vitamin supplement. a culture of those from our local store is $15 and it lasts 4-5 days. greens vary and to be honest, im not sure of cost cuz i never buy just greens, usually other groceries as well. but he doesnt eat a lot of greens yet, so that cost is minimal still. as they grow, the costs will change, but hope this gives you an idea. dont forget the vitamin supplements and calcium (altho if you use phoenix worms, no calcium needed) :D

map1199

Original Poster
Thank you everyone for responding. I am getting lots of great information. I really appreciate it.

lilgreeneyes

Juvie Member
My husband and I have 2 beardies and they are 5 months old. We buy both reptiworms (www.reptiworms.com) and crickets for them, although, reptiworms are the main staple. The crickets are usually the last meal of the day and just a few so they don't have too much in their tummies before it's time for lights out 2 hours later.

The beardies get 2 feedings of reptiworms a day and 30 per feeding so if each beardie eats 60 a day the total is 120. Just the other day I ordered 1500 reptiworms for around $55.

You can always see what things your beardie likes also. Some prefer crickets, some prefer worms and others prefer dubia.

TheDeac

Hatchling Member
Honestly it depends were you are located and what resources you have for food, Stubble is 20 Months Old and ive hade him since he was 3weeks old he's honestly (in my area) is one of the most expensive animals ive kept until recently i was going through (at 6months old) 450-600 crickets a week and only having one real place to buy got really expensive even with my Petsmart discount (i am a employee there =P) i was spending 40-50 a week being were im located i can only order in bulk in the spring and fall since temps are either 110+ or 32- lol gotta love the desert but now he's slowed down alot and only eats bout 100-200 a week and will go through a HUGE bowl of salad (at my local walmart his greens are 0.88$ a lb lol) so i would go for a juvi but even though i love that i watched him grow i wouldnt buy another baby but he more than makes up for it in affection and awesomeness the supplements are very cheap and lighting is cheap if ordered from the right place and have the longest lifespan of bulbs from what ive seen with a uvb meeter(Reptileuv.com is the best lighting ive found on prices and quality i dont even let ppl buy from petsmart on their lights when i work) petmountain.com is nice for my supplements

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom