Question and hoping someone will have an answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shantara

My 6 month dragon named Eragon...got his foot stuck in his hamic while I was at work. When I got home I took him to my pet shop and they told me ....to clean it everyday (twice a day), put paper towels down on the bottem of the cage and if there is swelling take him into the vet. So I did what he said. Cleaned it, paper towels, and there was no swelling. For a a good two months it looked like it was healed So I finally put some sand down in the cage. Bad mistake since...the sand stuck to the foot. I cleaned it again, removed the sand....and so forth. The foot has basically died and today it started bleeding again and now it has swelled. Im wondering if there is anything I can do....instead of rushing him to the vet. I will take him next week if I have to. So any suggestions. The tank has the proper heating and everything...The temp is 119. He was never a big eater....and he was always hyper. Still is.....even know his one foot is like this.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well, it sounds like either his foot wasn't completely healed or he reinjured it. When you cleaned it, did you use Betadine & apply an antibiotic ointment like Neosporin? It sounds like it is necrotic and infected, if that's the case, it will spread up his leg which could cause death. Is it possible to post a picture of his foot? If the foot has "basically died", that didn't happen within the past few days. Taking him to the vet next wk, may very well be too late. You need to have him checked by a vet immediately.

You mentioned that the tank has proper heating and everything, but a temp of 119 is not the proper temp. What type of thermometer are you using to check the temps? If the temp is indeed that high, he is probably dehydrated so bathing at least twice a day is a must. What brand & type of UVB are you using? How close is the UVB to him? What does he eat in a day and how much of each? Is this the only beardie you've ever had?

Shantara

Original Poster
I do know how much the temp needs to be in the cage. As I was typing the last message...it was at 119 now it is higher. I had to clean the cage out....like I do every week. Considering the coming holiday I cant get him to a vet till then. So i was looking for an alternative till I do. Thank you for the idea of the neo. I never thought of that. I was told to clean it with water twice a day. Back a few months ago...he only lost a two toes..now its the whole foot....Which is wierd. It was healed. There was no swelling at all in the past two months, he was walking on it, and doing his normal routine like he is doing now. The only difference is the foot is hard, dead, and has a little blood at the top. The foot is falling off. I will try the neosporin. The swelling started today. It wasnt like that when I left for work this morning. When I can Ill post a pic. Thank you again!!!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
A temp of 119 or higher is extremely dangerous and can/will cause brain damage and rapid dehydration, you need to realize that. The basking temp should not be any higher that 110 and the cool side should be no higher than about 82.

Just cleaning with water isn't really going to help. Using Betadine that you can get at a drug store and adding enough Betadine to make it look like weak tea and then bathing him in it may help a little along with the Neosporin. But, since it is hard and looks dead, it may spread to his leg & perhaps even further. This is a serious situation.

Shantara

Original Poster
I am well of aware of it being serious. I dont need you or anyone else to tell me something I already know. If the vet was open now...I would be there. Aparently I was told something else when it came to the temp....Ill change that.

Shantara

Original Poster
Once again Thank you. I am going to see if the vet is open tomorrow. I doubt it cause most places are closed....hopefully they will be open though.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Can you post a picture of that foot?
How long has it been "dead" or necrotic? It usually does take awhile for tissue to become necrotic but during that time, infection can set in & become a systemic infection instead of a localized one.
As Diane suggested, using betadine can help keep it clean, along with daily treatments of neosporin or polysporin antibiotic ointments.

There are alot of people who advocate high temperatures, but at 120, that can cause neurological problems or heat injury. You most likely received information on a monitor type of setup because they just do not need that high of temps.
We are just trying to help so there is no reason to be rude. :? Remember you came to us for help.

Let us know how he is doing. I hope you find a vet open tomorrow.

Tracie

Shantara

Original Poster
Hey..Thanks. Im going to post a pic as soon as I can. I put some medicine on it and ill be checking it through the night. The temp is at 115. I know everyone has there op on the matter of how high it should or shouldnt be. The temp normally ranges around 110 and 115. It only went that high....as of 120 right after i cleaned the tank out. I will continue to put the medicine on him and im calling the vet tomorrow .....(hopefully there open) and if not ill do what i can tomorrow and throughout the weekend. Like I said he is just the same normal dragon...just with a bad foot at the moment. Ill keep you guys posted

Shantara

Original Poster
Tracie,

How often do you think I should put the medicine on? Twice a day? He hurt it about two or three months ago...and im thinking he did it agian. Not sure.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Thanks, I will look forward to seeing a picture of him.
Yes very true that there are varying opinions on what the temps should or shouldn't be. More often than not they tend to do better when the temps stay between 95-110 than any higher. I know during the summer it is harder to control temps. Maybe you could use a lower wattage bulb for the summertime though to help control the temps.
How is his foot looking today? At least it doesn't seem to be affecting him too much though. The ointment will really help alot. So you are positive the entire foot is bad then?

Keep us posted on him. I hope you found a vet open today, but, if not, it will wait until next week just continue with the treatments.

Tracie

Shantara

Original Poster
Hello,

He is doing good today. He woke up and I went ahead and bathed him ....cleaned some of the dry blood off of his foot. It really looks like the foot is falling off. I put some of the medicine on him and cant get him to the vet till monday or tuesday. Im setting an appointment. He is moving around, eating some and basking on his rock. Very responsive. He put wieght on it today. It is a little swollen but not too bad. Ill keep you posted.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Great he is doing pretty well today. Has he eaten anything too?
I hope you can get a picture up soon for me. Well, maybe the foot is not falling off. How discolored is it?
Could you maybe wrap it up with gauge or something after putting the antibiotic ointment on it, to try to support it a little more?
Good that he is basking & active today. At least he put some weight on his foot, hopefully you will be able to save it.
They should do an x-ray on his foot too, so they can determine whether or not there is anything broken.

Tracie

Shantara

Original Poster
Hey!

He ate a few pellets but no greens yet. Yesterday he did eat a dozen crickets to himself. When I got him...he was never a big eater. He had options of what he wanted to eat..but never really was a big eater. I was thinking of wrapping it, but I was told the heat lamp will help heal it. So I didnt want to cover it for that reason alone. He is basking a lot today. Hasnt moved much

Shantara

Original Poster
Ok I got a new one for you. I think he is doing it himself. Yep I have watched him more then once...biting himself. He isnt biting the bad part of his leg....but the good part of his leg.

spurlee01

BD.org Addict
Ohh I just posted on your other thread. I have heard of beardies trying to chew off infected limbs because they are so painful and I bet this is what's going on.
Sara

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom