Question about shedding!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Megan1961

My little man is a year old! I've had him for 8 months so far, and have only seen him shed a few times that i can even remember. He doesn't shed in big chunks like i have seen pictures of, but its super flaky. He has not shed in a while, and i am wondering...
1) How often do beardies shed?
2) Anyway i can get him to...? (kind of odd i know..)
3) Is this ok for him not to shed..? (He is healthy and doing great!)
4) Why isn't he shedding?

Thanks so much!

brittani299

Extreme Poster
My one year old female sheds random parts on my body at different times. Altogether it takes about 2 months for eveything to shed. Just to make sure everything is fine in your setup can you answer these questions

How old is your dragon?
How long have you had your dragon?
How long is your dragon?
What is the sex of your dragon?
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in?
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank?
Do you use UVB lights?
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb?
What is the brand name and number of your bulb? Wattage (if MVB)?
How old is your UVB bulb?
How close can your dragon get to the UVB?
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb?
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)?
How long are lights on each day?
What are the basking temps?
What is the cool side temp?
What is the night time temp?
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun?
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps?
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad?
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)?
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc?
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them?
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)?
Do you bathe your dragon? How often?
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath?
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done?
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon?

Megan1961

Original Poster
How old is your dragon? About a year, she was a rescue beardie and has been in my care for 8 months.
How long have you had your dragon? 8 months
How long is your dragon? 15 1/2 inches
What is the sex of your dragon? Male
What size enclosure do you have your dragon in? It's like 75 gallons I believe
What type substrate do you have on the bottom of your tank? Tiles, paper towels underneath
Do you use UVB lights? Yes! Length of the cage almost
If so, Is it a coil, compact, fluorescent tube, or Mercury Vapor bulb? Reptisun 10.0
How old is your UVB bulb? Brand new
How close can your dragon get to the UVB? Within aprox 10in
Do you use a separate basking bulb? What kind and what is the wattage? Is it a white or colored bulb? Yes, 100 watt, don't remember name ATM
Di you have any type of night time heat source (ceramic heat emitter, colored bulb, etc)? No, just switched to nothing
How long are lights on each day? 12 hour daytime
What are the basking temps? 98
What is the cool side temp? 86
What is the night time temp? 80
Do you take the temps with a stick on thermometer, a digital thermometer with a wire and a probe end or a temp gun? Temp gun
Where exactly are you taking your basking temps? On the rock
Do you use a heat rock or heat pad? No
What do you feed your dragon? Please be specific. Collards and reptiworms are a staple, occasional green beans, carrots, peas mealworms.
How often do you feed and what time do you feed (morning, afternoon, night)? Greens In morning, protein afternoon and more veggies at night
Do you gutload (feed) your crickets, worms, etc? Yes
Do you use vitamin or calcium supplements? What brand(s)? How many days a week do you use each of them? Yes calcium, need to know how many times a day.
Is your dragon having regular bowel movements (poops)? Yes, every day!
Do you bathe your dragon? How often? 3x a week or more
Do you mist your dragon or offer water other than in the bath? Yes misting and a dish of water in cage
Have you gotten a vet check and fecal done? No
Does your dragon share an enclosure with another dragon? No

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I would spot misting. It can raise the humidity and cause a respiratory infection. Bathing will help with hydration. Beardies absorb water through their vent. I would give calcium 5 times a week and multiviatims 2 times a week.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I would personally stop the misting because it raises the humidity quickly. You can keep the water bowl in if it keeps the humidity at 35 or lower.

brittani299

Extreme Poster
I can't remember about that one. If they are the same thing as phrniox worms then you don't have to dust them

Megan1961

Original Poster
yeah they're the same, just a different name!
So since i feed those every day what do i do about the calcium powder? Do i use it ever?
Thanks so much! :)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You should still supplement with calcium if primarily feeding bsfl, but just cut it back to two dustings per week. Along with your two dustings of vitamins a week.

-Brandon

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Megan1961":113zivjn said:
My little man is a year old! I've had him for 8 months so far, and have only seen him shed a few times that i can even remember. He doesn't shed in big chunks like i have seen pictures of, but its super flaky. He has not shed in a while, and i am wondering...
1) How often do beardies shed?
2) Anyway i can get him to...? (kind of odd i know..)
3) Is this ok for him not to shed..? (He is healthy and doing great!)
4) Why isn't he shedding?

Thanks so much!

1. Depends on how fast they are growing. If they are growing fast, they will be shedding often. If they aren't growing, they won't be shedding as much.
2. Not really.
3. If he is healthy and doing great, then thats all that matters.
4. For reasons mentioned above. He will as he grows. If he is done growing his shedding is going to be few and far between.

brittani299":113zivjn said:
Novel size amount of questions:
I don't really know why this was necessary to answer 4 simple questions.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom