Question about lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yahtwice

My setup right now is using 2 dome lights above the screen, one with a reptisun 10.0 coil bulb and the other with an exo-terra 26w uvb 150 coil bulb on a standard 40 gallon tank. (in addition to another dome with the basking light) I know that this isn't ideal but was wondering if it would be okay for a couple of weeks to run this setup while looking into a more suitable enclosure solution. If not I plan on ordering this to mount inside the tank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AKKUBDQ/ref=crt_ewc_img_huc_1?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Which brings up another concern. The tank isn't that high and Arlo likes to climb so would mounting the light inside hurt him in anyway? (either to much uv or him actually getting on the light itself)

Thanks.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
The UVB150 26w is similar to a T8 in output so it's best at around 6'' and a screen top will filter enough to affect it's output. Having two UVB lights side by side will widen the spread but not increase the intensity. Upgrading to a T5 is a good idea. Keep in mind that fixture doesn't come with a UVB light so you'll need a 22'' Arcadia or Reptisun T5 bulb for it. The T5 is a good bulb for a tank that size (and larger). Just shift it to the basking side so there is a gradient available so he can get away from the light if he wants to. They get pretty intense at close range so you probably don't want him to get closer than about 6'' from it but if there is space available away from it then he should be able to sense it and self regulate pretty well.

Yahtwice

Original Poster
Room is my concern which is why I want to build something bigger for him eventually. I also don't want to keep buying stuff that I won't be able to use in the future. I'm assuming that a t5 bulb at that size would be okay on top of the screen which would alleviate my fear of arlo climbing up too close to the light if it were inside. The aquarium is only 16 inches high and 36 inches long by 18 inches wide. I dunno if the light enclosure I linked would work mounted on top but if not are there any suggestions on a "hood" enclosure that I could use on top of the screen?

Thanks.

Yahtwice

Original Poster
I'm looking to go through amazon so that I could get it quicker. I'm back to work on monday and won't have the time to mess around with the setup until next weekend. I'm probably worrying too much but from reading I can't help but worry that I'm doing the best I can for this guy.

Thanks for the help CooperDragon.

*Edit- Seeing as I already have the domes would something like this be reasonable?

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Vapor-Light-Reptile-Amphibian/dp/B01CRJXJZ4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1498234358&sr=8-4&keywords=uvb+bulbs

Would I only need one?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I don't think a bit of wait will hurt, especially since you have the UVB150 in place. Just allow him to get close enough. Bring him outside for some natural sunlight too and it'll be fine. I'd just hold out for the Arcadia or you could build/buy a grow light stand to suspend the Sunblaster from.

The MVBs vary wildly in quality and it's tough to get them set to proper height for UVB exposure and proper heat at the same time so I prefer using the T5 for UVB so I can control heat and UVB independently in the main tank. I do use MegaRay MVBs as portable basking lights around the house though. You could take your existing fixtures and use them that way or install a CHE or heat projector for winter nights if it gets cold enough to need them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RoseofChaos
Top Bottom