Question about lighting..

Status
Not open for further replies.
In my Draggy tank..should I keep their light over them all the time or is there another recommended heating source for them? I leave for school during the day..and get home around 4..specific times I should & shouldn't have the light on or does it not matter? :help:

Thanks guys! :)

ZANESMAMA

Juvie Member
At this time of year I keep mine on from around 7:30 am until 9:00 pm and off the rest of the time. I think most people have them on and off an equal amount of time. I have mine on timers.

jakeh2009

Hatchling Member
yea same here, i have mine come on around 830, and go of around 930-10:00. if you get one of them timer outlets it makes things really easy. i just plugged that into the wall then my power strip into that, turns all lights on and off at same time, better than having an individual timer for each light, saves a little bit of money that way

ZANESMAMA

Juvie Member
jakeh2009":914d5 said:
yea same here, i have mine come on around 830, and go of around 930-10:00. if you get one of them timer outlets it makes things really easy. i just plugged that into the wall then my power strip into that, turns all lights on and off at same time, better than having an individual timer for each light, saves a little bit of money that way

I wish I could do that! I'm afraid to plug all of my lights into one strip and then one outlet. My house is old and the electrical needs to be redone so I'm scared it will blow!

jakeh2009

Hatchling Member
how many lights are you using? i have 3, if you have three as well i dont see how much differnt it would be to you a power strip than to use both sockets on your wall outlet. i could be wrong lol, no electrician here, so dont take my word for it. my apartment is old too, but if the place blew up id be happy as long as i got my animals out and my girlfriend, did you see who came first lol the animals..

xBeardyGirlx

Original Poster
I've got two lights...
One regular light (one required for draggys)
and a tinted light..it's just what came with her setup..hmm i just dont want her getting cold

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
Tinted ? Naw, don't need a tinted bulb. Just a good UVB (ReptiSun or for 40 gal and larger a Mercury Vapor Bulb), and an ordinary house hold flood light for heat and extra light.
Janie.

ZANESMAMA

Juvie Member
jakeh2009":bd3f7 said:
how many lights are you using? i have 3, if you have three as well i dont see how much differnt it would be to you a power strip than to use both sockets on your wall outlet. i could be wrong lol, no electrician here, so dont take my word for it. my apartment is old too, but if the place blew up id be happy as long as i got my animals out and my girlfriend, did you see who came first lol the animals..

I have four altogether in two different outlets. I have a Megaray, two other basking bulbs and a 48" fluorescent. I have two plugged straight into timers then into sockets and two in a strip. The Megaray kinda scares me I like to have it by itself in a timer straight into a socket. I'm probably just paranoid... :oops:

jakeh2009

Hatchling Member
not paranoid i dont blame you lol for the prices of MVB better safe than sorry. probably a good idea if you dont think the wiring is upto par.

Isnips

I have a UV tube which is on for around 10 hours a day and a standard house bulb for basking which i have to say i never turn off(to keep temps good) based on advice given to me. I was told that they don't see the light produced by it and use the UV bulb to distinguish day and night.

Is this right?

ZANESMAMA

Juvie Member
Isnips":dd5ef said:
I have a UV tube which is on for around 10 hours a day and a standard house bulb for basking which i have to say i never turn off(to keep temps good) based on advice given to me. I was told that they don't see the light produced by it and use the UV bulb to distinguish day and night.

Is this right?

No, that's incorrect. Beardies need darkness to sleep. All of mine go off at 9:00 pm and as soon as they go off, Elvis is out too. He doesn't wake up until they come on again at 7:30 am. The temps can get as low as 65 or 70 degrees at night. Any lower than 65 and I use a cermic heat emitter, which does not produce any light at all, only heat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom