Question about feeding adult beardies

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys :)

As a Christmas present my fiance and I are going to be adopting in a beardie looking for a new home. I do have a couple questions pertaining to diet I'm hoping you all can answer for me. The reason I'm over-analyzing this a bit is because we live in a rural area. So there is no running to the nearest pet store if I run out of something. :(

What is an average number of roaches an adult beardie will eat every week?
How often should you feed your beardie insects?
Can you feed superworms as a primary insect?

As you guys answer these questions I'll probably come up with more. I do know that every beardie's appetite differs, I'm just trying to get a ballpark. Essentially buying vegies and such is not an issue, but buying the insects is. I hate crickets with a passion so I'd rather not get into them at all. I can deal with superworms (our other option here in town) just fine but I'm not sure if they could be a staple insect. I love everything about roaches (from a nutritional standpoint) but need an estimate on how many an adult beardie will eat every month or two.

Thanks guys!
Savannah

AtlasStrike

Sub-Adult Member
About 15-20% of an adult dragon's diet should be made up of feeders. I hear a lot of people feed supers or roaches every other day or every third day. I think it will depend on your dragon and how much he or she eats. For an adult that eats salads consistently, running out of feeders for 2-3 days shouldn't be a big deal, as they are not a huge part of their diet. If you have diverse salads and lots of veggie options, I would think there would be room for error in the first few months of ordering feeders.

Some people use supers as a staple feeder for adults, but others seem to think they are too fatty. I think it is up to you and your dragon's metabolism to decide what the best feeder is.

Jess

Extreme Poster
Yeah, I usually only give Dudley feeders 2-3 times a week, and he eats his daily salad in between. If I feed him bugs every day, he isn't hungry enough to eat his veggies.

I've used supers as a staple, but IMO it is better to alterate them with something so that your beardie doens't become too picky and fat. Dudley would get 7 supers oevery 3rd day for two meals, and then I would feed him something else for the next two meals.
I started a dubia colony while he was brumating, so I've been trying to feed him more of those. He is a funny eater for a couple months after he wakes up from brumating, so he will only eat 2 or 3 big nypmhs before he is full right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dobby2012
Top Bottom