Question about dubia roaches

Status
Not open for further replies.

augsburg1530

Juvie Member
Dubia don't bite. The adults do have sharp little points on the edges of their exoskeleton that can poke a bit but they don't hurt. I think you will find, like the rest of us, that dubia are incredibly interesting. In fact, I think I enjoy my roaches better than I do my dragon. Don't tell Spike I said that!!!

Eric

patrickb

Juvie Member
augsburg1530":bbaaa said:
Dubia don't bite. The adults do have sharp little points on the edges of their exoskeleton that can poke a bit but they don't hurt. I think you will find, like the rest of us, that dubia are incredibly interesting. In fact, I think I enjoy my roaches better than I do my dragon. Don't tell Spike I said that!!!

Eric
QFT. I think I spend more time playing with my roaches than I do my other critters. Amen to that.

Dubias are uhmm, "very strong" so to speak. They have a good grip when you are handling them and this may freak you out a bit. Other than that, they are completely harmless, no biting or foul chemicals being spewed forth.

brunoboy

Dubia are actually quite easy to handle----they are pretty much slow movers----more like holding a big beetle. They don't bite and babies will actually curl up in a death pose if it feels threatened. I did have an adult male 'flutter' his wings and glide to the ground the other night. Was kind of cool. :D

Ihaggerty1313

Juvie Member
cxerphax":6e478 said:
OK then thanks everybody that allthe info I need for now and I will defintly buy a box cutter and the 55 dollar kit. Its gonna be so nasty. Im a guy and all and Im not freaked out to see em but holding a COCKROACH is gonna take somegetting used to. What does it feel like? HAs anyone ever beeen bitten? Whats that like?

Your gonna love these guys. They don't bite at all. The males can glide but I usually only observe this at night when they are roaming around the bins looking to get it on w/ some lucky female. Other than that they can't climb at all. If you're worried about them climbing you can throw a layer of vasoline or other products that are available around the top, or someone here had the fantastic idea of wrapping the top few inches of the tub w/ packing tape. I've tried this and it works GREAT!

How do they feel? Well they got six little feet and it feels like they are wearing post it notes on the bottom of them. Once you get used to them it'll no big deal having them around at all.

-Ian

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
As others just said, they don't bite, but the legs are pretty sharp if you try to force them to let go of you. It's better to just let them walk from your hand onto something. If your beardie is a baby then you can adapt to feeding the small ones that really look like rolly pollies first. As your beardie grows, you progressively grow accustomed to feeding larger and larger roaches. The adult males still creep me out, but my beardie is not eating adults yet.

LittleRob

Hatchling Member
lunatix":b5069 said:
I just ordered Heat tape, and everything you would need from http://www.beanfarm.com. If you get the dimmer switch you would only spend about $35. :lol: I got the all life thermstat.
That a good site has everything on one page. But now what did you get as far as getting it going the heat tape, and what else haven't used this stuff but want too. Okay i guess if i read i will find.
http://www.beanfarm.com/heating/Flexwatt_Wiring.pdf
http://www.beanfarm.com/heating/Flexwatt_parallel.pdf
http://www.beanfarm.com/heating/Flexwatt_connectors.pdf
http://www.beanfarm.com/heating/flexwatt_userinfo.pdf
But even than that first link has everything hooked up but whats those extra wires for?

Theroachguy

Juvie Member
Does anyone find themselves going to the grocery store and say hey I bet the roaches would love that? Or in the fruit section and say hey ill get them a treat lol some people that read this would think we are completely out of our minds.
We have a nice setup in the house now. We are using out old geckos cage and put all adult females in there with a somewhat natural habitat with some dim lighting looks great and it very interesting to watch them. Sit just beside the 52 inch flat screen what else can a man ask for big flat screen and his roaches to sit back and watch.

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
patrickb":abc2e said:
QFT. I think I spend more time playing with my roaches than I do my other critters. Amen to that.

Dubias are uhmm, "very strong" so to speak. They have a good grip when you are handling them and this may freak you out a bit. Other than that, they are completely harmless, no biting or foul chemicals being spewed forth.

Lol, try handling hissers....now thats a grip.

As others have said, Dubia are harmless.

patrickb

Juvie Member
Theroachguy":6be2e said:
Does anyone find themselves going to the grocery store and say hey I bet the roaches would love that? Or in the fruit section and say hey ill get them a treat lol some people that read this would think we are completely out of our minds.
We have a nice setup in the house now. We are using out old geckos cage and put all adult females in there with a somewhat natural habitat with some dim lighting looks great and it very interesting to watch them. Sit just beside the 52 inch flat screen what else can a man ask for big flat screen and his roaches to sit back and watch.
Yeah, no doubt. I actually say I should get that as a treat for the roaches. Just hope I don't do it aloud! :lol: I even read labels for stuff I would never buy otherwise just to see if it would be good for the roaches. We are nuts, no doubt about it.
I have a 55gal aquarium not in use that I was thinking of doing the same thing for. A natural display for the Dubias would be awesome. Maybe some live plants and something else would be great in it. Hearing you already do that, at least I know I am not the only one that is nuts. :p

Bestroach, yep I know they have a better grip no doubt. I think it is more of me being surprised at how "sticky" or strong the Dubia felt when I first got them in. I wasn't expecting it from them one bit, was a bit weird at first! hehe. BTW, welcome back!

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
:shock:
cxerphax":caa34 said:
OK then thanks everybody that allthe info I need for now and I will defintly buy a box cutter and the 55 dollar kit. Its gonna be so nasty. Im a guy and all and Im not freaked out to see em but holding a COCKROACH is gonna take somegetting used to. What does it feel like? HAs anyone ever beeen bitten? Whats that like?

If needed, you can create a system where you never touch a live cockroach. Species that can't climb are much easier to handle, as they can be scooped into a shallow bowl and fed of with tongs. That said, its easy to hold a roach....just cup them in your hand. Once they are in the dark, they will stop moving and just sit there. Never squeeze them, and never grab their legs. Doing this will damage the bug (no big deal if its about to be eaten), and possible give you a poke on th finger from the roaches leg spines.

Larger roach species like Hissers and Fusca are a little more difficult to hold. Their increased strength and sharp leg spines means even expert roach handlers can loose one. Hissers are really annoying, because they legs are very sharp and can draw blood.

Roaches do not bite, not any of the common feeder species anyways. Except for the passive leg spines, and the occasional defense odor, roaches are harmless. If you get dubias, you really shouldn't wouldn't about it. They are benign compared to most other species, and usually play dead.

WASH YOUR HANDS before handling any roach. Humans typically harbor various types of bacteria on their hands that can kill off the roaches being handled. Thats kinda funny when you think about it....most people think roaches are dirty, not realising that we are the dirty ones!

gregorydragon

Juvie Member
Jason,
I look for things in the grocery store for my roaches too. A while back, my wife bought some Kashi cereal (not cheap) and we didn't really like it. The roaches love it though and I keep buying it for them.

Chad,
I know I would freak out if a roach made me bleed, but the hissers are impressive. Are the posticus strong too, or do they just have a stronger odor and eat each other.

BestRoach

Hatchling Member
gregorydragon":4c4ae said:
Jason,
I look for things in the grocery store for my roaches too. A while back, my wife bought some Kashi cereal (not cheap) and we didn't really like it. The roaches love it though and I keep buying it for them.

Chad,
I know I would freak out if a roach made me bleed, but the hissers are impressive. Are the posticus strong too, or do they just have a stronger odor and eat each other.

Posticus are a larger roach, so they are pretty strong. Stronger than dubia, but not as strong as say a large Blaberus Fusca, or a Hisser (of any species). They seem to be relatively docile when handled though, but startle easily....and when they get startled they emit this "wonderful" odor. Their leg spines are not very sharp, so rarely would someone get poked. Posticus are by far my favorite roaches, and if it wasn't for the smell they would easily be a very popular feeder species.

I should mention that you will only damage yourself when handling hissers incorrectly. As a species, they are very slow and very docile....if allowed to mind their own business, they will not jump or run off your arm. Its only when you are grabbing at them that their legs can become an issue. I typically don't "grab" hissers, but let them walk wherever I need them to go. If I grab them, its with tongs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dixxie
Top Bottom