Question about building a new tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I really like the blueprints and everything of the infamous design at http://www.freewebs.com/crossfireenclosures/. However, I was hoping to have a vivarium with a screened top, and without the lights mounted inside. Does anyone have any input on if I go by that design, complete the 4x2x2 structure but leave off the top piece, and buy one of those 4x2 screens? And also, that would mean I could build the viv without the ventilation, right?

Or are there any major benefits that I'm unaware of using the enclosed top with ventilation and inside lights? Because it seems like the dragon would have more height for climbing without those lights mounted there.

Thanks

xbluex

Juvie Member
Alot of people have done that and it has worked out well for them. My reasoning behind building an enclosed tank is heating. The way the crossfire is designed will keep heat in alot better than having an open topped tank. Also because I am stacking tanks on top of one another, so the top cant be open. In the Viv pics only thread theres a couple of pics of really nice ones that have a screen top, so go check those out, and you could even pm those people and ask how its working out for them.

ScooterBlenny

Hatchling Member
The advantage of the enclosed top is to keep heat in. And floor space is more important than "climbing" space, as beardies aren't exactly arboreal and can even be a bit clumsy. Pudge leapt off of her hammock at a cricket the other day and got her claw caught, so she was hanging by one leg trying to reach the cricket :lol:

mysterysock

Original Poster
Ok I didn't consider the stacking benefit, seeing as I do plan on having another one. But since you have the inside mounts, that would constrict you to only using the UVB and heat lights as opposed to ever using a MV light. Is there any downside to that because there seems to be alot of benefits to having one of those?

xbluex

Juvie Member
You can still use MVB, you'd just need a taller tank. I don't use mvb's so I'm not exactly sure how far away they need to be but I have seen people using them in 24" tall tanks. The tanks I'm building are going to be 20" tall, that way my guys can get closer to the uvb tube bulbs and I can use lower wattage basking bulbs.
The other thing you'll need to think about is that there shouldn't be a screen between the bulbs and the reptile. So if you're putting the lights on top of a screen you'll need to cut holes in the screen where the bulbs are exposed. I'm not 100% sure how people do that, but I think you would need one of the super strong screens and possibly more support with wood built around it to keep the weight of the light fixtures from caving in the screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mei mei
Top Bottom