Question about brumation

Status
Not open for further replies.
So is brumation something they go through no matter what?
Or do you drop the temps to encourage it?
Is it something that you will only do if you are planning to breed them?
I don't ever plan on breeding. I will just have mine as a pet. I never have been comfortable with dealing with breeding any animal. If I can just leave their lights and heating as is and not worry about it that would be great.

KahliLizard

Hatchling Member
yeah, you could leave the lights and colors as is. It is just a natural instinct. Some do, some don't. I have never heard of making them go through it you want to breed, so you don't have to. If yours starts becoming really lazy, and not eating, just let him go to sleep. If yours stays active all day, just like normal, your fine. If you want to make him go into brumation, then I would suggest turning down the lights, giving less food. If he doesn't take the bait, then he more than likely won't at all. You might as well give up then, and return to a normal schedule.

NatashaFatality

Original Poster
I have no interest in inducing it. I just know snake breeders do that so I wasn't sure if it was something that was done. Thank you for your answer. :)

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
When males come up from brumation you'll notice a higher activity level that's because after brumation is when it's the natural time to mate. however males will try all year round...as far as lighting I turn all my lights off after he goes down. I do leave a low wattage light going on the timer so he still knows day from night.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom