Question about breeding dubia on a small scale

Status
Not open for further replies.

GeckoCandy

I finally decided I'd try breeding my own dubia since I tried crix and it's horrible... And my geckos can eat mealies that I've bred for a while but the beardie can't. I ordered 10 females and 3 males yesterday from DubiDeli, who is also having a sale on 25% extra roaches free! So technically I should get about 4 males and 12 females :) I think that's enough to get me started!

Now my questions are:

Is it necessary to separate the sizes/babies and adults? I have a 72 qt (something like that) dark blue sterilite tub that they will be going into, so I think they could be fine for a while until I start overflowing.

I have read mixed opinions, but what are thoughts on using a low wattage red bulb for heat? I tried it out as a test run on my tub and it gets it to about 80-82 on the bottom on the tub, measures with a digital probe therm. I know higher is recommended but I figure this temp will still allow them to breed, while slowing it down enough that I don't get overrun (I'm only feeding a beardie and two leos).
If the red bulb is a problem, is there a way I could paint or color it to darken the color? I use to have a black bulb that was for reptiles, from a long time ago but idk where it is now o_O
I can of course go buy a heating pad from Walmart, but I'm kind of a frugal/DIY person so just had to ask that first :)

Edit. Oh and thanks for any help! :)

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
It is not necessary to separate them by sizes. People just do that for convenience (so they don't have to hunt through their whole bin for enough of the proper size when it's feeding time for their beardie).

As for the lighting/heating, I am not sure. I use a heat pad and a space heater to keep my tubs warm enough during winter. When I first set up my dubia, I tried using a desk lamp to keep them warm but it didn't do the trick. They were constantly crowding into one tiny little spot that was warmer than the rest.

GeckoCandy

Original Poster
Thanks :) I went out and got a heating pad just to be safe, I luckily found one without an auto-off feature.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
That is good. I've been having trouble finding any without that feature... The one I do have, I bought two years ago, and now I can't find another one. The place i got the first one doesn't have any without auto-off anymore. :(

GeckoCandy

Original Poster
I actually got mine at dollar general for $12, not sure if you have one around or if you've checked there but it was in the personal care area, a conair moist and dry heat pad :) I just took out the sponge layer since I didn't need it.

Sapphire

Sub-Adult Member
Ooh, I didn't think to check there. I checked a couple pharmacies and Walmart when I was looking... Thanks! I'll see if I can find one there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Beardiemomg
Top Bottom