Question about breeding and color.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frogsong

Hi everyone,

I hatched some eggs from my Bearded dragons. They are both normals. Is it possible to get a citrus out of a pair of normals? I have one baby from the pair that looks almost the same color as my Citrus Tangerine. Here are some pictures. It's a completely different color than the others. What color would you call this?

babycolor01.jpg

babycolor02.jpg

babycolor03.jpg

babycolor04.jpg

Vacren

Juvie Member
Judging by the clear size difference... I would say either a practical joke on your part or a fluke of nature. Just my thoughts. Looks to be about 2-3 weeks older than the rest but it's hard to tell because the only thing available for scale is the other babies. All beautiful though.

If he did come out of the same clutch, I would definitely consider separating him from the rest so you can avoid nips.

Frogsong

Original Poster
They are not from the same clutch, they are two weeks apart. Same parents.
I have others with some color in them too, but not as much as her. Here's one.
lastday01.jpg

Vacren

Juvie Member
Beautiful babies. Like I said, be sure to separate so you avoid nips.

From what I've read, ALL morphs (in the US) come from wild beardies captured and bred captive here. Various mutations were singled out, and after a bit of crossbreeding those traits can almost be garanteed. If you had a marker for that color in either of your parent animals there is a chance for it to appear. If it was in both, there is a greater chance. A "normal" could exhibit a gray/brown color, but carry markers for all colors.

The only time you have zero potential for a color/trait is when that marker has been completely irradicated from both parents.

Anyone feel free to expand. I'm not a geneticist or herpetologist.

Jayson745

Hatchling Member
my old regular beardies would throw 1 or 2 that looked just like the one in the first picture. I never grew any of them out past selling size because I'm not a big fan of the citrus color, but I will say that they always seemed to be the wildest of the bunch. Picking one up was a lot like trying to catch a wild anole.

TheWolfmanTom

Extreme Poster
Not unusual Frog, comes down to the genetic crap shoot. So many lines have been crossed back to each other in one way or another you never know whats going to come out in the mix.

Frogsong

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. But what color would she be called? I went looking for some her color and she matches some of the orange sandfires the most to me. But some of them all look the same and I can't tell the difference.

I'm wondering, if I kept this baby and it turned out to be a male, if I breed him with my Citrus Tangerine, would I get tangerine babies? I know nothing about the genetics of the Dragons.

Ask me anything about the genetics and color crosses of cockatiels and I can pretty much tell you anything you'd want to know.... LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom