Question about basking temps

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bearpaws

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but at what point should the basking spot reach 105-110 for a baby beardie?

When we first turn our basking bulb on in the morning it gets to around 94 degrees after an hour or two. It takes 4+ hours to reach 105 degrees. Is this okay or should the basking spot be getting hotter earlier in the day?

Also, what time does everybody turn their lights on and off each day?

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
It should not take 4 hrs for a basking spot to heat to 105 --- what wattage are you using? Can you move your piece of decor so hes getting higher to bulb - I have a 150 watt bulb in my tanks and it takes it a while to heat but there are different spots to where he can sit to get different temps - ambient temp is around 90 + on basking side in about 10 minutes --- so I know the basking spot is going to be higher
Karrie

Bearpaws

Original Poster
KarrieRee":3x6silui said:
It should not take 4 hrs for a basking spot to heat to 105 --- what wattage are you using? Can you move your piece of decor so hes getting higher to bulb - I have a 150 watt bulb in my tanks and it takes it a while to heat but there are different spots to where he can sit to get different temps - ambient temp is around 90 + on basking side in about 10 minutes --- so I know the basking spot is going to be higher
Karrie

I just thought of something. Is 110 degrees for the basking spot the air temp or the surface temp?

MrSpectrum

Gray-bearded Member
I try to simulate the sun somewhat, except that I don't use dimmers--just timers. Some folks do use dimmers.

My basking & plant lights come on first. An hour later, the UVB comes on. In the evening, the UVB shuts off an hour before the basking & plant lights.

Basking & plant lights are on 12 hrs during Winter, 13 hrs during Spring & Autumn, and 14 hrs during Summer. UVB is on 2 hrs less each season. I could probably fine-tune that to the 1/2 hr., but I'd be messing with 2 timers 8 times a year. 4X seems like enough, and I'm not hearing any complaints from the tenant. :lol:

It takes that first hour for the entire enclosure to heat up to temps with a single 75W flood light. By then, everything's warmed up, and the UVB comes on. When he was a baby, ZaRDoZ climbed his basking tower every morning to warm up. Lately (at 6 months) he warms up at floor level, and doesn't begin basking until after breakfast. This week, he's begun sleeping atop the tower, and begins warming up with it. The basking light is at an angle to the basking platform, so he has a gradient/variety of temperatures & UVB strengths--he can bask/move where he wants within that range.
105703-5098756524.jpg

If your ambient temps are also slow at heating up, you might consider insulating the back & sides of the enclosure to prevent heat loss.

There are no dumb questions, but there are a few dumbass dragons. :D :lol:

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hi there,

Bearpaws":1umh48rh said:
When we first turn our basking bulb on in the morning it gets to around 94 degrees after an hour or two. It takes 4+ hours to reach 105 degrees. Is this okay or should the basking spot be getting hotter earlier in the day?
That is ok. It's most likely to have something to do with the rest of your house also heating up a bit. Either way, how you have it is a bit more natural than it instantly being 105 at 8 in the morning! Your dragon is smart, he will bask longer if he needs to, or bask more so when he notices the temperature he wants.

Bearpaws":1umh48rh said:
Also, what time does everybody turn their lights on and off each day?
Well, for some it's based on a schedule that works best for them and their home life, and for others its based on sunrise and sunset. I have my lights turn on around 630-7 and they shut off around 8.

-Brandon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom