Q about Toenail Growth

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildlife

My female's toenails have stopped growing all together it seems. Besides Ca, is there any other vit.s that aid in this? None of them look brittle, they have never split, Rose lost one a yr ago but it grew back.
I'm not complaining about not having to clip her nails, lol, but Rose gets plenty of Ca in her varied diet along with a repti sun 10.0.

I've been studying around but haven't found a suitable answer. I recommend using a format like this when asking health q's. Please tell me if i forgot any vital info., it would help us all and will save everyones' time.

ROSE’S 411
Species: Pogona Vitticeps a.k.a Inland Bearded Dragon
Size: Jan. 4th , 328g, 16.5” head to tail, 8” to vent
Morph/Breeder: Inland
Sex: F
Size/type of enclosure: 55gal tank
Type of substrate: crushed eng walnut(she has had a recent ultrasound and x-ray and shown no impaction so please no comments on this), soon to be tile
Enclosure temps:
Basking: 108F
Cool: 80’s
Night: 70
Lighting details:
• UVB (Reptisun 10.0)
• Heat (100watt zoo med )
Bathing Schedule: Since egg deposit 1 a day, normally 1 a week
Supplements:
• Multivitamin type: Zilla vitamin spray w/ beta carotene
• Calcium type: Flukers
Diet:
Prey (Gutloaded): *-staple food
• Crickets, superworms, bearded dragon bites, Repcal Adult Food,etc.
Greens/Veggies/Fruits offered: *- staple greens
• Prickley pear cactus pads, Kale, Field greens, green peppers, watermelon, etc.
Recent changes to enclosure or diet:
• More Veg, laid 1st clutch
Vet. History:
• Clean bill of health, fecal clean too, no impaction
Problems/Concerns:
• nail growth
IMG_0489-1.jpg

IMG_0490-1.jpg

carmdac

Hatchling Member
I am not sure about the nail Q, but i have a Q about the prickly pad cactus leaf. How do you serve that to your beardie? I use the cactus pear which mine loves and thought about the leaf but wasn't sure if you have to skin it or what to do. The prickly things don't bother them???

wildlife

Original Poster
It most certainly does!!!! You have to rub every inch of the cactus pad to make sure there are no spines left on it. The bundles of spines are very tiny and hairlike, and it really stinks if you get them on/in you. This is a great food staple, in my opinion but i'm no expert, with ample moisture, vitamins, and a nice green sheen, it's a great addition to any salad. We can also eat the pads and fruit too! It's really good if you haven't tried it.

If you want to grow the cactus to save $$ here's a tip:
Propagation from pads is simpler and faster than seeding. From a growing cactus, cut a pad that is at least six months old, and allow it to form callous. This will take a week or two in warm weather but longer when the air is moist. Be sure to allow more time rather than less, to avoid rot. Sit the pad upright while it forms callous so that it will not curl. The cured pads may be dipped in a Bordeaux mixture to further protect them from fungal infection.
When planting the pad, settle it upright only about an inch deep in a mixture of equal parts of soil and sand or rough pumice. Planting the pad too deeply will encourage rot. In area with intense summer sun, situate the pad so that the slim side points north and south, and the broad side east and west. The sun will then pass along the narrow side during the hottest time of the day, and the pad won't sunburn. Anchor the pad in place with rocks to keep it upright, but do not water it(the moisture stored in the pad will enable it to sprout roots, and excess moisture may cause it to rot.
After a month, some roots will have formed, and the pad will stand firmly by itself in the soil. Water it once then, but let it dry between future waterings. Wait several months before beginning to harvest either pads or fruit, or future harvests will lessened. Generally, the second or third pad to form will bear flowers and fruit, but a pad from an older plant may flower and set fruit sooner than a section from a younger, immature.

carmdac

Hatchling Member
Based on what you said about rubbing out the spikes, i'll pass. I buy the cactus pears(huge too) for .79 ea. They love em and also a staple food. only downfall is the red looking poop. lol

wildlife

Original Poster
It's rather easy with a rag, and just wash it off with warm water. If they are growing wild, I would give it a good scrub. There are strains of this cactus without the spines too.

After you told me bout the cactus, I found a pear cactus plant in the flea market for $6 its pretty bit. I haven't tried feeding my dragons it yet. How do you prepare it?
wildlife":21d48 said:
It most certainly does!!!! You have to rub every inch of the cactus pad to make sure there are no spines left on it. The bundles of spines are very tiny and hairlike, and it really stinks if you get them on/in you. This is a great food staple, in my opinion but i'm no expert, with ample moisture, vitamins, and a nice green sheen, it's a great addition to any salad. We can also eat the pads and fruit too! It's really good if you haven't tried it.

If you want to grow the cactus to save $$ here's a tip:
Propagation from pads is simpler and faster than seeding. From a growing cactus, cut a pad that is at least six months old, and allow it to form callous. This will take a week or two in warm weather but longer when the air is moist. Be sure to allow more time rather than less, to avoid rot. Sit the pad upright while it forms callous so that it will not curl. The cured pads may be dipped in a Bordeaux mixture to further protect them from fungal infection.
When planting the pad, settle it upright only about an inch deep in a mixture of equal parts of soil and sand or rough pumice. Planting the pad too deeply will encourage rot. In area with intense summer sun, situate the pad so that the slim side points north and south, and the broad side east and west. The sun will then pass along the narrow side during the hottest time of the day, and the pad won't sunburn. Anchor the pad in place with rocks to keep it upright, but do not water it(the moisture stored in the pad will enable it to sprout roots, and excess moisture may cause it to rot.
After a month, some roots will have formed, and the pad will stand firmly by itself in the soil. Water it once then, but let it dry between future waterings. Wait several months before beginning to harvest either pads or fruit, or future harvests will lessened. Generally, the second or third pad to form will bear flowers and fruit, but a pad from an older plant may flower and set fruit sooner than a section from a younger, immature.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
New & NoClue
Top Bottom