Put my deposit down on my first bearded. Need some help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I wrote about a week ago, saying I was thinking about getting a bearded. I looked at a few of them 2 days ago. At a couple of different stores. I kept thinking of one that I held. I went back to the store today, and held him again. Continued to fall in love. The pet store believes it's about a 7 month old male. I've been doing alot of research on beardeds. I looked up how to tell the sex. I know it's hard to tell the sex when they are young, but I think it was a male also. I put down a deposit for him. I'll get him in about a week in a half. He's a beautiful golden color. Not yellow, but golden. I was wondering a couple things. One, when does there teenage years start? And can anyone give me some name suggestions? Plus, since I'm completely new to this can anyone tell me some things that I might need to know that all the care sheets that I've read haven't told me. Next time I go to the store to visit him, I will try and remember to take pics. Thanks everyone.

SoCuteBeardie

Original Poster
Hi,
Here's the pics of the bearded I'm going to get. I can't deside on 1 of 5 names. I was wondering if you could give me your opinion. Spitze (means spike in german), Thorn (just because he's thorny), Pin Pin (just because I like the sound of it), Kink (because he has a kink on the tip of his tail), And Farid (sounds like Fareed, a character from Ink Spell the book.Means Unique or Precious in Arabic). Also I check again today, and I do believe my soon new beardie is a boy. The store has been feeding him greens since they got him, and he loves it. I even got to give him a piece.
Hi.jpg

Photo0165.jpg

Photo0166.jpg

Photo0168.jpg

Socute.jpg

Arrow

Awww! Beautiful Beardie =D I haven't become a slave (yet) but am still trying to learn everything I can =D How long have you wanted a Beardie for? :mrgreen:

I think all of the names would suit him (assuming it is indeed a male); after all; you will be his slave and who better to name the master? :wink: :mrgreen:

SoCuteBeardie

Original Poster
I've wanted a beardie for a really long time, the more I see them, and read about them I've want one even more, so I finally broke down and put a deposit on one, and when I get my taxes, I'll get him, only about one more week left. Can't wait.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
What do you have for an enclosure, UVB light, basking light, substrate, decorations, furniture, food items ? I think knowing this we can help you choose what else do you need. Also for names, I just recently went through trying to decide on names, so I choose names of Dwarf red and yellow stars for my two 8 week olds, and a descriptive name for the 3 footed beardie I am adopting. So many possibilities out there ! There are mythological names, astrological, personality, human baby names, the list goes on !
Janie.

SoCuteBeardie

Original Poster
I haven't bought anything yet. I'm playing on getting a 40 breeder tank, right off the bat. I know later on I have to get bigger, but I hoping it will only be one other time. I'm planning on getting 3 different lights, one uvb, one heat, one night. Either reptile carpet or contact paper. I already have the grape vine, and then I'm getting a rock looking thing that he can either climb on or crawl in to get out of the heat if he want. I already have the feeding and water bowls. I already have the cricket keeper. Then I have to buy a gadge. I have the perfect place to put him also. I just have to move things around.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
At 7 months he will most likely Want something bigger, and soon. Check around for a stand alone stero (circa 60-70's), they are ususally 4-6' in length, 18-24" wide, and 18-24 high. You can gut those and make a pretty impressive enclosure out for your beardie. Just an idea ;), low cost too !
You can lose the night light as they don't need one. All it will do is disrupt sleeping patterns.
Janie.

SoCuteBeardie

Original Poster
I went to go visit him today, (also on Tuesday). I go visit on my days off. I should have him by Tuesday. Anyways, I noticed Tuesday that when I opened the tank to get him out, there was a smell. Then when I took him up to the front of the store, I still noticed the smell, but not as much. So I sniffed him. He did smell. Is this because his tank needs to be cleaned. Which it's hard for me to see if it's dirty or not because the tank is over my head. Or could it be that he's sick. He doesn't look sick, or act sick. He kinda looks dirty also, and looks like he's been rubbin his nose. The tank he's in is very small. Maybe 5 gallons, and he's a good 8 to 10 in long from nose to tail. I'm kinda concerned, I don't want to get a sick beardie.

zebraflavencs

Extreme Poster
In that small of an enclosure it isn't unusual for a beardie to "bruise" the snout. I would ask that the whole enclosure be brought down so you can see the husbandry involved. If there is more than 2 fecal spots on the flooring, I would wonder if the husbandry is all that great, hence the health of the animal. What kind of guarantee is the ps offering ? Would they be willing to foot part or all of a vet bill should something arise ? I would also have them get a fecal check done to make sure of no parasites or other health issues. Do you get a free vet visit ? All these questions need to be answered to your sadisfaction.
Janie.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cinnabunn
Top Bottom