Pulled the trigger

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
I finally settled on and committed to the Zen habitat!!!
I ordered it last night ๐ŸŒ™
I went with the Merridian wood.
Now I've got to build a stand, figure out the window installation..... BAAHHHH beardies are a lot of friggen work lol ๐Ÿ˜†
On a side note i went back and double checked the panels are 1/4 thick and laminated (with real bamboo) I found it in the faq section.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I'm going to build the stand as well. I have some barn lumber accenting stuff I'm going to dress it in ๐Ÿ™‚

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
I'm building the stand this weekend and i have to put the window in when it gets here, but I'm hoping to have him in it mid-week.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
It isn't finished yet but I've made a huge dent in it. The structure is completed, and some of the dressing, I've got about half of that done. I deliberately didn't cut the 45's or work the seams in. I grew up in the heart of the Appalachia and rustic wasn't a trend, it really was how a lot of stuff was done. Since I'm using imitation barn lumber i decided to stay true to the way real rustic looks. On a side note, this thing is SOLID. I think it would support an entire house with a beardie in it lmao ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿ˜‚ I also managed to get it perfectly square. It doesn't rock at all and sets flat on all 4 legs. All the framing lined up perfectly as well ๐Ÿ™‚

Attachments

• 20230916_174325.jpg
    20230916_174325.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230917_162947.jpg
    20230917_162947.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230917_164247.jpg
    20230917_164247.jpg
    141.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230917_170149.jpg
    20230917_170149.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 20230917_181524.jpg
    20230917_181524.jpg
    139.4 KB · Views: 50
  • 20230917_184005.jpg
    20230917_184005.jpg
    155.9 KB · Views: 51
  • 20230917_184014.jpg
    20230917_184014.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230917_184030.jpg
    20230917_184030.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 49
  • 20230917_184242.jpg
    20230917_184242.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 54
  • 20230917_184254.jpg
    20230917_184254.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 54

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
This is what I'm going to frame the window in with. I will cut in the 45's for the window. I'm debating on installing one on each side.

Attachments

• 20230917_184107.jpg
    20230917_184107.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 46

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Zen Habitats did inform me if i cut the panel i would void the warranty. (I emailed them to see if i could disassemble that panel without breaking it)
PPPfftt window (or two) it is lol ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜‚

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
It isn't finished yet but I've made a huge dent in it. The structure is completed, and some of the dressing, I've got about half of that done. I deliberately didn't cut the 45's or work the seams in. I grew up in the heart of the Appalachia and rustic wasn't a trend, it really was how a lot of stuff was done. Since I'm using imitation barn lumber i decided to stay true to the way real rustic looks. On a side note, this thing is SOLID. I think it would support an entire house with a beardie in it lmao ๐Ÿคฃ ๐Ÿ˜‚ I also managed to get it perfectly square. It doesn't rock at all and sets flat on all 4 legs. All the framing lined up perfectly as well ๐Ÿ™‚
Thank you for posting photos of the making process!
The design looks very solid! It reminded me of the drawing of a carpentry workbench from Wood magazine for June-July 2005.
I really like this style! And I did something similar for my table saw too. This is a very strong constraction, you can be sure that it will withstand anything.
But I was a little lazy, I didn't cover it with veneer, I just made holes for the screws and then closed the holes with wooden plugs. If you are interested, I can show my product if I find a photo.
You are doing very beautifully, I will look forward to continuation in this topic.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
This is what I'm going to frame the window in with. I will cut in the 45's for the window. I'm debating on installing one on each side.
I think this will work. It is also worth providing an easy way to replace the glass if necessary in the future.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Zen Habitats did inform me if i cut the panel i would void the warranty. (I emailed them to see if i could disassemble that panel without breaking it)
PPPfftt window (or two) it is lol ๐Ÿ˜† ๐Ÿ˜‚
I doubt that a warranty is necessary for such a simple terrarium construction, all that can happen to it is physical damage and it is unlikely that they will recognize as a warranty issue

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Thank you for posting photos of the making process!
The design looks very solid! It reminded me of the drawing of a carpentry workbench from Wood magazine for June-July 2005.
I really like this style! And I did something similar for my table saw too. This is a very strong constraction, you can be sure that it will withstand anything.
But I was a little lazy, I didn't cover it with veneer, I just made holes for the screws and then closed the holes with wooden plugs. If you are interested, I can show my product if I find a photo.
You are doing very beautifully, I will look forward to continuation in this topic.
Yeah for sure post up some pics ๐Ÿ™‚
I need to build a stand for my table saw as well, it would make work a little easier. The chop saw to. The girlfriend and her sister kindda made the garage into a storage unit and i never really got a chance before hand lol.

NickAVD

Juvie Member
Beardie name(s)
Foxy
Yeah for sure post up some pics ๐Ÿ™‚
I need to build a stand for my table saw as well, it would make work a little easier. The chop saw to. The girlfriend and her sister kindda made the garage into a storage unit and i never really got a chance before hand lol.
As I wrote earlier, I used an idea from Wood magazine 2005 (#163 June-July). I donโ€™t know if I can publish drawings from this magazine, perhaps this would be a violation of copyright, but the magazine is publicly available on the Internet or you can write to me and I will send you an electronic version.
It was enough for me to make a frame, but the magazine tells how to make shelves, walls and drawers for this workbench.
I'll tell you more about it, maybe someone else will want to use it to make a stand for a terrarium
saw01.jpg

I resized the frame width and depth to match the dimensions of my saw, and also changed the height so that the saw table was at 3 feet (which is a comfortable height for me).
saw02.jpg
saw03.jpg
saw04.jpg

The legs were glued together from two boards to form a square beam
saw05.jpg

The entire frame was assembled with screws, the holes from the screws were closed with wooden plugs
saw07.jpg
saw06.jpg

The frame is covered with stain and water-based varnish
saw08.jpg

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Oh yeah, I like that, I'll probably copy it for mine. It would be worlds more convenient than what I've been doing.
On my other habitat stand i built i did the same things for the legs, but i decided to be lazy on this one and just use 4x4's lol ๐Ÿ˜†

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
All but done now (finally)
I still have to add the trim at the top, but I'm going to wait till the habitat is there so i get the measurements right.

Attachments

• 20230918_202721.jpg
    20230918_202721.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 45
  • 20230918_202703.jpg
    20230918_202703.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 49

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. ๐Ÿ˜”
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. ๐Ÿ˜ด
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom