Puff!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZLantz18

Went with a fairly obvious name, but it suits. Anyway, I'd just like any recommendations on my setup! It's just a start, obviously going to have to get bigger but let me know any advice for now! I'd appreciate it:

85098-7158929514.jpg
85098-2394709219.jpg

20 gallon long tank (for now) Got a 100W Repti Basking Spot Lamp, a 100W Ceramic Heater for at night(room gets to about 65), and a ReptiSun 10.0 UVB/UVA 12" in the hood. I know the stick therms aren't reliable, but its showing his bask area as 95-100 F, and the cool area around 70-75. I believe the bask area needs to get a bit hotter, but I placed an order for something for him to climb closer for that. As well as an infrared therm.

Also, I got him yesterday from petsmart and I've only been able to get him to eat one cricket... he just ignores them. Placed an order for Dubia Roaches and Phoenix Worms. I noticed their tanks humidity was pretty high so I'm guessing he's getting used to the heat again. Also assuming that it's new home stress but shouldn't he be eating something?

Anything would be appreciated! Thanks!

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
He looks like a happy little guy with a good new home. You're off to a good start. The IR thermometer will help you get the lighting and temps dialed in pretty well. You may find that you only need the CHE seasonally when the temps drop below 65 - something to monitor as the room temps change. Give him a few days to adjust to his new home. He will likely relax and start eating in the next few days. I'd just give him some space for now and let him get used to you and his surroundings.

ZLantz18

Original Poster
Copy that! I'll try to refrain from holding him, haha. And yeah I decided to heat my room to 75 instead of using the CHE so it doesn't get too hot in his tank at night.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Geez, that's warm! Can you sleep in that heat? If it turns out you need the CHE to bump the tank a few degrees, try hanging it from an adjustable lamp stand. You can put it up a bit higher so it's only bumping the temps as much as you need it to. I kept a 50w CHE at 25'' up during the winter and that got most of the tank to the high 60s/low 70s overnight.

ZLantz18

Original Poster
I can but that works also, haha. Any cheap ways of lifting it that you know of? Also, is it normal for a beardie to hold its mouth open under a basking light? I'd figure he'd move if he was getting too hot. Just stays under that light constantly.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
You could hang it from a shelf or something above the tank. The stands are just metal adjustable arms that you can hang the fixture from. They have a lip that sticks under the tank to keep them stable. You may be able to put together a homemade version.

It's normal for them to open their mouths while basking (like Cooper is doing in my profile pic). They do that to cool their heads while they're taking in lots of heat around the rest of their body to help digest. Kind of their way to pant or sweat I suppose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom