Proud mommy! :-) with questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Erimis

Ive had Dinck for about a month, he is doing great. Up until today he has hated his baths, always scrambles to get out. He was almost finished with his shed when I got him, so this time is my first watching him throughout the process. This morning he had his legs done to his feet and skin all over the tank! He seemed more agitated today than Ive seen him so gave a bath this afternoon. This time he stuck his face in the water and drank! I thought the tongue flicking at the water was drinking- like a dog! He stayed under long enough to make me worry. My husband was telling me to pull him out! But since Ive never actually seen him drink before I let him go until he was done drinking. So cute.
Then he starts swishing his tail. Pretty soon he is gliding around in his tub! I was giddy with excitement and pride at his first swim! :)
He doesn't seem to be eating as much right now- is it because of shedding?
Do they get tired of one protein source? He seems a bit disinterested in dubia right now. But he also seemed to do the same with the crickets when I first introduced the dubia. He eats his salad well, just the greens, don't think he is eating the veggies- just pushing them around.
Thanks for letting me share my moment!

Luthien

Juvie Member
First off Congrats on your Beardie, they are a charm to own and get to know. You will have a lot of fun with him.

He drank like that for one of 2 reasons, either because of shedding or how often do you bathe him? At his age it should be every 2-3 days. Dragon's don't usually drink water, they mostly absorb it through their skin.

The not eating much will be because of shedding, some beardies don't eat at all during this time.

Yes they can get tired of one kind of food, just like we would in the situation. Try feeding him crickets for awhile. NEVER feed him meal worms no matter what anyone says, they are very hard for your beardie to digest. Repti worms are fine and when he gets bigger super worms are another good source but never meal worms.

Erimis

Original Poster
I bathe him at least every other day. Sometimes daily because he doesn't like to stay in very long. He also hates being misted and rarely licks the water off his nose.
I tried phoenix worms and he didn't seem interested at all, and since they won't stay in the dish Ive given up on them
I think the dubia I am feeding are too small for him to bother with now. He is going for the crickets and the next size up dubia, eats the small nymphs last.
Thanks

Luthien

Juvie Member
LOL sounds like beardie :p the not liking baths or licking part that is.

If he likes the dubia's then stick with them, getting the next size up should help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom