Not open for further replies.
Baby Beardie 4th day need help with temp and light position,

Left to right

Basking 100W. Temp 105
CHE 60W Temp 90
Cool side 50W Temp 85
20"UVB 15W 5.0 (Should I use 10.0)

All off at night -- temp between 60 (middle) and 65 Basking area

King (that's his name) seems to climb toward UVB sometimes. So I moved UVB more toward basking area and turn of 50W on cool side to see if ambient Temp keeps cool side around 85 May just add smal 5w UVB or 30 W in cool side for cosmetic light-- no really dark areas

Was told to move branches within 3" of UVB so he can get closer. Does that sound right?

All suggests welcome and appreciated.

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Your basking temp is good but the cool side is a little high. Perhaps remove the 50w and let it drop to 75-80 or so.

If you're using the T8 UVB I definitely recommend a ReptiSun 10.0. The 5.0 is designed for shade animals and won't produce nearly enough UVB even at close range. The 10.0 is a little bit more powerful but it should still be mounted 6-8'' directly above the basking area with nothing between the bulb and basking surface for best results. If you're providing adequate UVB in the basking area, you don't need additional UVB on the cool side. You can make that region a low UVB low temp zone. It's good to provide a gradient of UVB as well as temperature to allow him a choice so he can self regulate.

Rangers1933

Original Poster
Dropped the 50W down to 25W just to keep light in entire tank.
100 W= 100 degrees basking
69W CHE= 80 middle
25W = 80 in cool area- added ceramic hidden rock

added Reptisun 15W 10.0 UVB and large branch to basking area and moved 18" UVB over basking area. King sitting high under basking /UVB

I cannot or have not figured out how to move UVB fixture inside tank yet

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
That sounds good. There are a few ways to suspend the UVB inside the tank. If you have front opening doors you can tie some strong fishing line or wire to the mesh top and then loop it around the fixture to suspend it securely. Otherwise if you have holes in the back/side (Zilla Slimline has this) of the fixture you can put some small command hooks on the back of the tank and hang the fixture from the command hooks at 6-8'' above the basking area.

Rangers1933

Original Poster
While I know it is not perfect I used three pieces of a light drift wood to create a multiple level basking/UVB area-- he has and does move up and down-- he get get within 3-4" of the basking or UVB. Although I have never watched him get close to the basking light-- he must be smart

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
They're very good at sensing and self regulating their heat and UV exposure. For safety precaution I wouldn't put the basking light closer than about 10-12'' and the UVB shouldn't get closer than about 6'' from the highest basking point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom