PROLAPSE AFTER SURGERY

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys I could really do with some help / advice .....

My bearded had surgery for a hemipenial prolapse on Friday the 22nd April... I brought him home and he was very sleepy, the next day I kept checking up on him and he was happily moving around the vivarium. The next thing I check up on him around 4pm and the prolapse was there!!! I noticed he had pooped so I'm assuming it's from this that it has reappeared.... But I paid £140 for his surgery so surely if it came back not even 24 hours later than can't be my fault? It must be something the vet didn't do right? I'm very upset right now thinking about the fact I'm going to have to pay more money but I can't see how this is my fault.... And I can't get him back to the vets until Monday... I just hope he'll be okay until then. Do you think he will be?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

OH no, I hate to hear that, poor little guy. Did they stitch him up then? Hm, it shouldn't have come back out so I would absolutely call the vets back to see what they want you to do since he just did have surgery.
Is it as bad, or not?
You hadn't fed him any solid foods had you? What had they recommended that you feed him after the surgery?
I am sorry that happened. Tonight, just keep him warm & comfortable & if possible you can get some ky jelly or if they gave you any type of cream to put on the area use that to keep that area moist until you can get him in again.

Let us know how he is doing.
Tracie

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there....I'm sorry that this happened to your boy. :( Put him in some cool sugar water for a bit, with a heat lamp over to keep him warm but not hot. When you take him out, put some raw honey on it, thinned down with a bit of water to try to reduce the swelling. I'm sure you don't use loose substrate, if you do get him off of it. Is there an emergency vet to get him to ? If not, he should be O.K until you get him to the vets.

Don't feed him until he's fixed again, and for a few days after just offer water. I don't know what method the vet used to put the hemi pene back in....did they put in a few sutures ? Can you post a few pics ? Here's how:
https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Oh dear, I'm so sorry this happened. Unfortunately, I have some experience with beardie prolapses, it's an awful thing to try to handle. My female didn't have a good outcome as it continued to happen no matter what was done even though we rushed her to the vet twice to have it put back in. :(

Did the vet put stitches in? If so, you probably shouldn't put him in sugar water. Is it a large prolapse? If not, it may go in on its own. Can you post a picture of it? This will show you how. https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Post the XIMG link here on this thread.

I would NOT recommend waiting until Monday, it is an emergency situation as that area can not remain out of the body like that, as it can become necrotic. Your vet must have an answering service to reach the vet on call no matter what day of the week it is or what time of day. If the prolapse didn't go back in, would recommend calling the vet right away. In the meantime, keep the area moist by laying the vent area and prolapse on a damp towel and putting KY jelly or honey on the prolapse itself. Good luck.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree it would be best to get to an emergency vet, but a hemi pene prolapse is not the same as a rectal prolapse. As long as you keep it clean + moisturized with cream or honey it should be O.K, shouldn't cause death like the rectal prolapse can. Unlike a rectal prolapse,even if the hemi pene were to become necrotic [ which it shouldn't] it can be amputated + the dragon can live.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I apologize, I didn't realize that a hemi pene prolapse wasn't as severe as a rectal prolapse. I was being extra cautious although I feel a call to the vet that did the surgery would be a good idea to let them know what happened.

Please post some pictures though so we can see how bad it is or isn't. Did the vet put sutures in, if so, did he say not to get the area wet?

Please keep us updated.

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
I agree DIAMC that if the o.p could get a hold of the vet it would warrant the quickest response possible because it's still really important to get it taken care of ASAP.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

I agree, if at all possible, it would help out if you could get him back in . I would think also that they should cover a lot of that cost if they missed something during the surgery, initially that caused him to prolapse again. :cry:

Tracie

Libbyrhiann

Original Poster
diamc":1liew64l said:
Oh dear, I'm so sorry this happened. Unfortunately, I have some experience with beardie prolapses, it's an awful thing to try to handle. My female didn't have a good outcome as it continued to happen no matter what was done even though we rushed her to the vet twice to have it put back in. :(

Did the vet put stitches in? If so, you probably shouldn't put him in sugar water. Is it a large prolapse? If not, it may go in on its own. Can you post a picture of it? This will show you how. https://www.beardeddragon.org/useruploads/ Post the XIMG link here on this thread.

I would NOT recommend waiting until Monday, it is an emergency situation as that area can not remain out of the body like that, as it can become necrotic. Your vet must have an answering service to reach the vet on call no matter what day of the week it is or what time of day. If the prolapse didn't go back in, would recommend calling the vet right away. In the meantime, keep the area moist by laying the vent area and prolapse on a damp towel and putting KY jelly or honey on the prolapse itself. Good luck.

Hi DIAMC, yes my bearded dragon had sutures - but when I checked the area the sutures are still intact above the actual prolapse... So I'm confused as to how he has re-prolapsed so soon after surgery.. I haven't fed him any solid foods just offered a small amount of greens and water.. But he hardly ate any greens... I'm really heartbroken :( I did ring the emergency vet service and all they said was they can offer my beardie pain relief until they can see him on Monday! :( :(

Libbyrhiann

Original Poster
Drache613":2hjq18k3 said:
Hello,

I agree, if at all possible, it would help out if you could get him back in . I would think also that they should cover a lot of that cost if they missed something during the surgery, initially that caused him to prolapse again. :cry:

Tracie
Thanks Drache613, very upset at the moment as this is my first beardie I've only had him since November 1st 2015. I am just so angry at the vets that surely can't be right to reproplapse after 24 hours!!!

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
When you called, did a vet actually call you back or did you just speak to the answering service?

That is very odd that it prolapsed below the area that was stitched. Does he seem to be in pain, does he have a black beard and/or tail? Can you post pictures of the area?

So sorry you and your beardie are going through this again. :(

Libbyrhiann

Original Poster
diamc":jeqkik5l said:
When you called, did a vet actually call you back or did you just speak to the answering service?

That is very odd that it prolapsed below the area that was stitched. Does he seem to be in pain, does he have a black beard and/or tail? Can you post pictures of the area?

So sorry you and your beardie are going through this again. :(

Yes I spoke to a lady vet and she just offered pain relief meds... I don't think he's in pain, well I really hope not :( I will post some photos of my beardie in the morning as it's 4am in the UK and he's currently sleeping. Yes the stitch looks like it is above the prolapse. I will post pics ASAP! Thanks for the help!!

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The stitch is above the prolapse? Geez, that maybe should have been a little closer perhaps. It shouldn't have prolapsed that soon after surgery, I agree. I am so sorry that happened. I hope he isn't in pain either. Is his beard normal colored or black in color?

Tracie

Libbyrhiann

Original Poster
Drache613":17jk9a64 said:
Hello,

The stitch is above the prolapse? Geez, that maybe should have been a little closer perhaps. It shouldn't have prolapsed that soon after surgery, I agree. I am so sorry that happened. I hope he isn't in pain either. Is his beard normal colored or black in color?

Tracie

Yes to me it does look like its above the prolapse, but obviously I'm no expert and it might be the positioning... I will post pics ASAP in the morning so you can have a better look.. And I didn't notice him being dark in colour when I left him early but I will check on him in the morning.
Thanks for all the help! Just hope my beardie is okay!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miss_michelle421
Top Bottom