Problems with rescued beardies eating

Status
Not open for further replies.

kasius411

Hi this is a cross post from beardie er but just thought people in the section may have some relevant experience on my situation.

Hi guys,

Im new around here, used to keep beardies a few years ago but just recently rescued two beardies from a neighbour whose child was neglecting them. They are a male and female about 18 months old. I have had to separate them as the male has been constantly trying to mate with her and has injured her with a small wound on her side. Hopefully my vet is going to try to find someone else to take her as I only have the one full size tank and I dont think it would be fair on her to keep her in the one tank with a larger dominating male.

The main problem i am having at the minute is that they are both not eating well, I got them on sat and she has only really eaten about 10 crickets since then and he really doesnt seem interested in any food. I contacted my neighbour and apparently "he only eats some veggies once a week and isnt interested in live food" and she usually likes crickets but not vegetables. My issue is I really dont know how often they are used to being fed and really what they were fed as the mother does not really seem to know. At present I am offering them crickets and meal worms dusted and also chopped veg and fruit (bell peppers, grapes, parsley, carrot, peas) in an effort to find out what they like.

Has anyone encountered a similar situation before and can offer some advice on how to encourage them to eat more? Also is it possible that they are stressed from either the relocation on saturday or being separated and their appetites will return?

Thanks in advance for any help and sorry for writing so much!

TJinPgh

If you still have contact with the individual you got them from it might help to know if their loss of appetite is a recent development or if it's been going on for a while.
If it's recent, like within the last month or so, it may or may not be a big cause for concern. Could be starting to brumate. How is he acting otherwise? Sleeping a lot? Gertrude wouldn't eat hardly at all when she started brumating, no matter what I offered her.

Could be getting used to the new surroundings as well.

You mentioned the vet. Have you had them there yet to make sure there's no impaction or anything?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom