Problems with being around to feed him, miss 2 feeds a week

Status
Not open for further replies.

nodtomc

I'm looking into buying a beardie in the next month, but i've come across a problem. So you feed them crickets twice a day everyday i've read. However, two of those fourteen sessions i can't be there, and my parents won't touch crickets. Is there any other live food i could give a very young (he'll be recently shop bought) beardie, or perhaps another solution to get round it? I've read mealworms can be dangerous for young beardies. Somebody suggested skipping mealtimes but surely for a growing beardie this is dangerous? The feeding sessions are back to back, monday night and tuesday morning

Any ideas please?

ClydesGirl

Sub-Adult Member
There are other feeder insects you can feed to a young beardie. You should check out Phoenix Worms, they are small and can be fed as a staple. Think your parents would be any more comfortable handling small worms?

healthybeardie

Juvie Member
Yes, phoenix worms are an excellent option as they are soft and wiggle a lot which is appealing to a beardie. Also, if you haven't already, here is a website that gives a lot of great info. on diet: www.beautifuldragons.com

Be sure to always have a "salad" on the cool side of his viv: e.g. collards, mustard greens, endive, escarole as these greens are a staple in a beardie's diet and have a lot of calcium which is good. Also, If your beardie gets hungry enough, he'll eventually eat the salad. Stay away from other types of lettuce though, romaine and iceberg as these have bascially NO nutritional value.

Good luck!

Stycim

Would your parents be willing to dump a pre-measured amount of dubia into a food dish?

You could leave an empty, shallow dish in his viv. Then measure out the proximate quantity of dubia he'd need for those two meals and put them in a sealed tupperware. Then your parents could just dump his dinner and breakfast right in without having to touch anything. There's definitely an "ick" factor to them but they really are fantastic feeders. Not only do they not jump like those nasty crickets. They won't nibble on your little guy if he doesn't eat them all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Critter Guy
Top Bottom