Problems with Albon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Has anyone had problems with their beardie being given Albon? My bd, Rocky, seemed fine about two months ago when I received a card from the vet asking me to bring a fecal sample in for a "check up". I took it in and he had coccidia. He was given a 5 day round of Albon. We took another fecal sample in about two weeks later. (He didn't poop much after the first round and it was hard to get a sample.) He still had the coccidia so the vet doubled the dosage and told me to give it to him for two weeks. I gave it to him for about 12 days but stopped because during that time he stopped pooping and eating. I took him to another vet who felt his stomach and said she could feel some blockage. She gave him a shot in the stomach of water and an enema. He pooped at the vet's office then again for me a few days later during a warm bath so I don't think he's still constipated but I'm not sure. What I'm worried about is that he's not eating. Amazingly enough, he hasn't lost any weight. I've kind of had it with the vet but I don't know how to determine if he still has the blockage. I can't feel anything when I squeeze his tummy. I'm thinking of ordering some Reptaid. Any advice is appreciated.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Albon is a very harsh drug on most any species. It is sulfa based which does tend to dehydrate them badly. What was the dose that has been given to him, do you know what the concentration of the drug was?
Did you give a probiotic to him, while he was on the medication? These types of meds do tend to decrease & destroy a lot of the naturally occurring normal bacteria & flora that is found in the GI tract that helps with digestion. That does markedly decrease the appetite as well as cause lethargic behavior in a lot of cases.
How is he doing today?

Tracie

joesaldivar

Original Poster
I didn't give a probiotic to him during the treatment. During the first round I gave him .5 ml once a day for five days. During the second round I was giving him .5 ml twice a day. It was supposed to be for 14 days but I quit after about 12 because I could tell it was the drug that was making him not eat or poop. He ate 4 peas and 4 green beans today. He didn't eat anything yesterday. His weight is still healthy, 493 grams per my kitchen scale.
I'm going to give him another warm bath in a minute and see if he will poop. Hasn't pooped since Sunday but, then again, he hasn't eaten much. I don't feel any hard places in his belly like he's got a blockage but I don't really know if I could feel one without taking him to the vet. Do you think I'd be able to feel it if he had something blocking his stomach or intestines?
He doesn't seem to feel awful. I had him in my lap while I've been typing and he acted like he wanted down so he's on the floor exploring right now.
Franki

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
milosmom
Top Bottom