Primo's not going to the water or food dish...

Status
Not open for further replies.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
My young beardie Primo isn't drinking any water or even going close to his dish( full of carrots, chunk of babana, bell pepper and brocolli ) I know in the long run if he doesn't eat any veggies he will have major problems, but why isn't get getting thirsty/going to get water? Is he not noticing there is a dish on the other side of the 10 gallon full of fresh water? Hmm.. Answers anyone:p?

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Hello,

First, welcome to the site,

I'm sorry Primo's not drinking, many beardies are not interested in there water dishes, while others drink everyday. Of course, beardies are desert animals so the need is not as great as a dog who eats dry food. However I feel your pain, I have 2 boys that don't ever drink from their dish, I make sure they have access to water, but they never drink from it, so you have to get creative.

Do you give them baths freq? Sometimes they will drink from that water. Also during the bath time, make sure their vent (area where they poop from) is submerged in the water, bathing is a great way for hydrating.

If I feel their not getting enough fluids through food or bathing, I will give them very diluted puree veggies (dilute with pedialyte, unsweetened apple juice or water) with a needleless syringe or dropper. Don't put the dropper in the mouth, but let them lick it off, they can aspirate easily.

Hope this helps,

Bugs a wishes to you and yours,

LJean

Extreme Poster
Many dragons won't drink out of a water dish. I'm not sure how to convince them to otherwise. Maybe he will get the hang of it after some time. Aslo, baby beardies can avoid eating their veggies, rather perfer the bugs. Keep offering daily anyway.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
Oh that's right LJean......... I didn't realize this was a baby............... so to say ditto what you said............. bugs and baths will be the

answer, babies usually don't eat

veggies like adults.................. so if he's eating his bugs you should be ok.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Original Poster
K, well I just purchased him on the 3rd, ( 2 days ago ) so no, within that time I have not given him a bath. Should I give him one today? What would I use? A bathtub would probably be too big. I was thinking something like a long, rectangular plastic container, like the kind of containers you would put cookies in ( dont worry there wont be any cookies in it :p )

LJean

Extreme Poster
Anything will do really. I use the reg. tub for my adult, but I use a baby bathtub for our younger dragon. A sink, plastic container will do.

Use luke warm water, up to their arm pits. Maybe keep the baby in your hand the first few times. (be right there with him. YOu don't want him to drown) The vent (where they poo) should be in the water. 15-20 minutes a few times a week.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
I always hold my boys head/upper body, and use a dishpan, bought just for them. He may wiggle and act as if he doesn't like it, but they do that just before they poop, then of course, take him right out, empty and do it again if you think its only been a few minutes.

If you had him for only 2 days, and he's little, he will have to adjust to his new surroundings so he may not be himself for a while, just be patient.

beardie osk

Extreme Poster
It's hard to say, as long as beardies are eating their live food, or veggies, they are getting fluids that way.

Taegrin

Even though Primo's not eating a lot of veggies, what I do with Archaeon is mist his veggies about three times a day.
It keeps them from drying out, but it also means that if he goes over and eats them he's getting hydrated.

Also, you mist him about once a day, correct? More if he's shedding, of course.
You can try to drop some water on his nose using a straw or an eyedropper or syringe; he might lick it off. I've had Archaeon lick water off my finger but he generally just turns his head away.
And when you mist him, trying misting the sides of the viv and maybe his basking rock or climbing toys. I find that Arch tends to lick at the side of his rock whenever he approaches it, so I kind of trick him into drinking like that.

I've never seen Archaeon drink from his bowl, but I sometimes drop a cricket into it just 'cause he'll still go after it, and he might get some water in the process.
Bathing, though, and misting him once a day and maybe his veggies should be more'n enough if he won't drink himself. You could always try to move the water closer to where he usually is; he might just not be able to find it very well.

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Okay :), I have seen Primo lick his rock as well, so maybe he will lick up some water if I spray it on there. I'm gonna mist him right now :p

Judah'sHuman

Juvie Member
All really great tips on the getting fluids! However, I think really what is to be conserned over here is the 10 gallon tank even thought he is still very small. I know we disccused with you Kevin the proper lighting in previous discussion. If you get the proper lighting fixtues we suggested to you on this small of a tank, the chances are that the tank temps will be too high and you wont have a gradent temp. Ideally you want one end of the tank (the basking area) temps around 100-105 the center of the tank 85-90 and the cool end to be 75ish. If he doesnt have a proper area to escape the heat he will cook. Here is a direct quote from "The Bearded Dragon Maunual" put out from the Herp library:

"I recently bought a baby BD 3 along with a 10gallon tank and a 100 watt Spotlight the pet stor recommended. The baby fared well for a couple of weeks and then died. What happened?"
Answer: "This is a common scenario with baby BD's. In a 10 gallon tank a 100 watt spot light can generate temps over 100deg F with in most of the dragons available space. Even if it can initially get away from the heat, before long it grows larger, the drgon will be stuck in a hot zone and cook. Bulbs of 60-75 watt will be addiquate for smaller tanks, although a 10 gallon tank is not a proper size for rearing baby BD's. Bd's need a sizeable cool area to escape excessive heat.

We hope that this information will emphasize the importance of providing a basking site of around 95deg F to allow BD's to thermoregulate. You also will have to provide a cooler, unheated section that they can access once an optimal temp is achieved. Let BD's choose what to them "feels right." Improper heat gradients are one of the most common causes of illness in BD's and other Reptiles."

I hope this helps you Kevin and this should be taken very seriously. If possable return your tank at once and get at least a 20 gallon tank for now ( Ideally a 40-45 gallon tank is needed)

kevindeeley12

Juvie Member
Original Poster
Well, I'm only using a 10 gallon tank with a 60W bulb. I'm running temperature tests right now, and if further action is required, I'll take it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dangky4gviettel
Top Bottom