Previously-bred female... possible issues later?

Status
Not open for further replies.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Hello fellow BD.org-goers! <3

My fiance and I have two adults, a 4 year old male (Brick) and a 2 year old female (Lady). Brick and Lady's previous owners bred them twice, and Lady laid two clutches both times. I've heard that breeders won't breed a female more than 2-3 times because it can be harmful to the female. It also seems to me like Lady may have been pretty young when she was bred, because she's currently only about 2 years old (not sure of hatch date).

So my question is, do we need to do anything extra for Lady's care, or keep an eye out for any issues that could arise because she's previously been bred? She's currently doing great! (knock on wood ;)) I don't know the last time she laid eggs, nor do I have any contact information to ask the previous owners (I could probably obtain contact info though). We aren't breeding them again, especially since when the previous owners tried to breed a third time, Brick bit off Lady's toe! Not very gentlemanly, if you ask me.
If anyone has any advice/suggestions/experience it would be greatly appreciated! I just don't want our little girl to possibly have issues later in life because of something we could be doing now to help her out. :)

AHBD

BD.org Sicko
Hi there Snazzy...all breeding age females should be fed well and given plenty of calcium. They don't actually need any EXTRA calcium unless they are being bred+ developing eggs. As far as how many times a breeder will breed their females, that is not always what determines how many clutches she will lay. A dragon can lay more than 5 clutches even if she was only with a male one time. Her laying 2 clutches is really on the low end of the scale, and was probably because she WAS young. I've had first time dragon's lay up to 5 clutches, and I've had a large dragon over 2 years old lay 9 clutches, back to back. All dragons are different, and as long as they are healthy, there's nothing to be overly worried about.

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
AHBD":1s38t7ga said:
Hi there Snazzy...all breeding age females should be fed well and given plenty of calcium. They don't actually need any EXTRA calcium unless they are being bred+ developing eggs. As far as how many times a breeder will breed their females, that is not always what determines how many clutches she will lay. A dragon can lay more than 5 clutches even if she was only with a male one time. Her laying 2 clutches is really on the low end of the scale, and was probably because she WAS young. I've had first time dragon's lay up to 5 clutches, and I've had a large dragon over 2 years old lay 9 clutches, back to back. All dragons are different, and as long as they are healthy, there's nothing to be overly worried about.
Thank you for the quick reply and the info! Sounds like our little Lady is on the right track then. I tried to do some research but couldn't find much, so I thought I'd ask on here! :)
And don't worry they're definitely not kept together, and we plan on always keeping them in their separate vivs. Actually they're currently in separate houses even :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

She should be fine but breeding too young can sometimes cause calcium problems by not allowing them to store enough calcium during their growing times.
Since she is not being bred now & has great care, I think she will be fine!
Just make sure she has good UVB & supplementation & there should not be any future complications with her health. It doesn't seem her bones have been compromised now, correct?
You could get x-rays & blood work done just to see what her bone density is & have the 25 Hydroxy levels tested through an ionized calcium blood test & a complete blood test just to see what her levels are.

Tracie

snazzyglasses

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Drache613":u5ub4pgx said:
Hello,

She should be fine but breeding too young can sometimes cause calcium problems by not allowing them to store enough calcium during their growing times.
Since she is not being bred now & has great care, I think she will be fine!
Just make sure she has good UVB & supplementation & there should not be any future complications with her health. It doesn't seem her bones have been compromised now, correct?
You could get x-rays & blood work done just to see what her bone density is & have the 25 Hydroxy levels tested through an ionized calcium blood test & a complete blood test just to see what her levels are.

Tracie
Yes, Lady's bones seem fine as far as we can tell. She does have a slight bend about halfway down her tail, but it hasn't been changing or getting worse so far and the previous owners told us it's always been there. We're keeping an eye on it just in case! (Which reminds me, I should take some pics for reference next time I'm at the fiance's house). :)
Thank you Tracie! :)

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello!

You are welcome. :D
That is good her bones look good. Just keep an eye on the crook in the tail making sure it doesn't get worse.
Yes, take pictures from time to time to help keep a good assessment on any physical changes, etc on Lady.
I think you have it all under control!

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JGFill
Top Bottom