Preparing for my first Beardy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Britney0036

Hello all,
I am doing a lot of research before I bring a bearded dragon home with me and I came across this wonderful site. I have a 40 gallon tank but it seems like I will need a tad bigger one for when my baby grows up. Does anyone know how long before they typically out grow a tank that size?
I have read many articles, talked to local pet stores, and read care guides. However I am waiting for my one foster dog to find a home so I can focus my attention on my new beardy and my two other dogs. The foster dog, Falcor http://www.petfinder.com/petdetail/21033342 three dogs are keeping me very busy (trying to take everyone for a walk a day).

Now I have been reading Bearded Dragons need to be handled daily. They require a bath in shallow water once a week and I was wondering how long they can remain outside of their enclosure?? I read a few posts where people took naps with them (when they where older). I am very excited to setup an awesome enclosure for my new comer...Any Tips? Are there any tips on handling them also?
THANKS

Explora

Hi Britney, and welcome!

The best tip for handling them is to be patient, especially when they're little. Always approach slowly from the front and try to encourage him to walk onto your palm. If that doesn't work, then slide your hand under his chest and gently lift. My Atlas is a squirmy-wormy, so getting him out is always some kind of fun lol.

A 40 gallon is sufficient for an average sized adult, although of course the more space you have the better! In any case, it'll be awhile before he "outgrows" 40 gallons. Also, it's recommended that when they're juveniles you don't keep them outside of the tank for longer than 15-20. The older they are the longer they can run about!

Can't wait to see pics of your new baby!!

Britney0036

Original Poster
Thanks! That is very helpful I will definitely post pictures! I am thinking about making a basking spot for him/her....I am very excited!
I would love to see pictures of your tank and the setup!

Explora

Here's a big view of the setup:
IMG_2034.jpg

And a few close-ups:
His basking spot and branch in the background
IMG_2036.jpg

I really recommend this branch from PetSmart, Atlas loves it to pieces!
IMG_2080.jpg

And this is just a nice pic of his colors after bath time
IMG_2066.jpg

Keep us in the loop!!

Britney0036

Original Poster
That's awesome I am glad that branch is from PetSmart because I actually work at one in Lansing, MI! I have been picking the brains of the pet care workers there lately. Your bearded dragon is so handsome/beautiful I love the picture after the bath with the reflection in the mirror!
Thanks,

welcome to the forum :D

just a word of warning dont show a mirror to male beardie when they reach sexual maturity.

they will attack it, thinking its another male. it happened to my beardie Spyro , hes 19 months old and he accidentally found my floor length mirror.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
heidib715
Top Bottom