Prepacked Salad/Veg

Status
Not open for further replies.

frazz

Hi guys just new too this forum as looks full of information that can help me out, one thing i need some info about is what do you guys buy for your bearded dragons salad/fruit/veg wise??

Is there any decent pre packs out any of the uk supermarkets you could recommend or just buying items seperately, my beardie is about 14 weeks...

Any advice would be great cheers??

jovamabob

Hatchling Member
I get prepacked wild rocket that does well as a staple since collard greens are hard to come by in the UK. If you put it in a ziplock sandwich bag it lasts about a week. Butternut squash will last forever and is also a good staple. Just cut off the outer 'crust' where its dried up each day and grate some onto the greens. One normal sized one will do me for almost 2 weeks before i have to either throw it, use it myself or get a new one. Sometimes individual supermarkets will do pre-packs of stuff thats regarded as 'safe'. I occasionally get a pre-mix 'Florrette Duo' bag from morrisons/asda that has wild rocket and lambs lettuce (also known as corn salad) that he adores. You can get pre-cut carrot sticks, bell pepper sticks and stuff, often in the fresh 'organic veg snacks for kids' bits.
This website is great for safe staple foods, variety foods and no-no foods using a traffic light system: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html.
i'd advise going on that site and making a list of the 'green staple' foods, and then a seperate list of the 'black occasional variety' foods. Then i ensure i have 2 of the green staples every week and 1 or 2 of the variety foods. I keep the list in my purse so i always have it to hand when shopping and tick them off the list when i buy them. The next week i'll try and get something i haven't ticked off yet. If im limited on the staple greens list, i can repeat them every week and it doesn't matter but i try not to get the same variety foods every week. Once you've done the whole list you'll have a good idea of what your beardie likes and doesn't like. If he likes a food and eats it with gusto i highlight it in green on the list and if he wont touch it at all i highlight it in red so i know what his favourites are. (I offer each change in food evey day for a whole week so he has chance to get used to it before i decide if he likes or doesn't like it).

Hige adored Wild Rocket and Lambs Lettuce. (Since he had been sick i'd given him some organic butternut squash baby food he adored):
tumblr_ma8w9epsK11ry9h3jo1_1280.jpg

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Sometimes you can find bagged salad that has a good green mixture like collards, etc but other times, the bags contain mostly kale and spinach. Here's a site that shows the best greens to feed in green print: http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html I always buy individual greens like escarole, endive, collards, turnip & mustard greens, dandelions and break up pieces daily.

Edit: guess we posted at the same time

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kiricowell
Top Bottom