Pregnant Beardy?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dannye92

Hey guys and girls. i havent been on this for about a year so i applologise. My male beardy (spike) is a year old now and i bought a female from my reptile store. There really good in there. my male is a blood and the female i think is a sandfire tiger. Babys wont be brilliant colours but the female was really active to begin with. after and hour of introducing them both he was biting her head and next thing i no he was mateing with her. Now shes not as active except when i bath her (every day after work)

Just thought i would give u some news :p

AndyT

Juvie Member
That's good news! Have you separated them yet? You need to separate them as soon as possible, or Spike will probably continue to mate with her which will stress her out, possibly leading to death. Good luck and keep us posted!

Andy

Dannye92

Original Poster
AndyT":37gxzcsf said:
That's good news! Have you separated them yet? You need to separate them as soon as possible, or Spike will probably continue to mate with her which will stress her out, possibly leading to death. Good luck and keep us posted!

Andy

:shock: I actually hadnt taken that into consideration, i havent got enough money to buy another viv to seperate them, I have been keeping a watchful eye over them when im at home but when im at work i obv cant. at first she seemed to be really lifeless the day after he mated with her. that was probably monday over the last couple of days shes got really active again.

Im going to take her to my beardie breeder just to check her over make sure everythings ok. Otherthan that i cant do anything else at the mo.

AndyT

Juvie Member
Ok, as long as you keep an eye on her, she should be fine. But, if you see him try to mate her, well I don't know what to do but he shouldn't be. There is a $1 per gallon sale going on a petco until the 17th, you could get her her own 40 gallon breeder for only 40$, if you have the money to invest. Also, I'm not sure that you should be bathing her every day, it can cause stress to her or trauma to the eggs, I'm not an expert on this, but I think this is true. Keep us posted!

Dannye92

Original Poster
Yeah will do thanks for the help, i just assumed her not moving etc could be due by dehydration ect.When i do put her in the sink she puts her head straight under the water and has a big drink - Its actually really kool, But i live in the uk so its quite expensive, i was gonna try to invest in a smaller viv for baby beardies shouldnt cost loads, £60 i think but then i need to buy an incubator aswell

AndyT

Juvie Member
Yes, you have to factor in the incubator and all the supplies for the babies. Good luck!

Andy

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Um, if you can't afford to house 1 female, how can you afford to house and feed 100 babies?

Dannye92

Original Poster
ziggy23":2uomk3nx said:
Um, if you can't afford to house 1 female, how can you afford to house and feed 100 babies?

I didnt say i cant afford it, i said its a bit expensive. im goin to my breeder sunday gettin him to check my female out and probably buy everythin i need there and then.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
Dannye92":15rsh1z3 said:
i havent got enough money to buy another viv to seperate them, I have been keeping a watchful eye over them when im at home but when im at work i obv cant. at first she seemed to be really lifeless the day after he mated with her. that was probably monday over the last couple of days shes got really active again.

how else is one supposed to interpret "I haven't enough money" breeding is way more than just a tad expensive. you can easily end up spending a few thousand by the end. From what I've heard, most breeders are lucky to break even.

And they should be separated ASAP. They are capable of killing each other in a heartbeat.

BaskingBaby

Sub-Adult Member
Sorry, but it is completely irresponsible for you to breed a dragon if you can't even keep the two you have in two SEPARATE cages. The male will overbreed the female, stress her out and that could lead to her getting sick, injured, or dead.

It's a very real situation that you will be stuck with 50+ babies (they will lay 2-4 separate clutches of 20-30 eggs every 3-4 weeks) so you better find some sort of caging arrangement and each baby will need about 75 crickets every day as well. Lots of money. I hope you did your research. If not, its probably best to freeze this clutch and do some reading and saving.

Dannye92

Original Poster
Well i spent £200+ quid on just a viv for spike and i dont have that sort of money to buy another one just to house the female. I have enough to buy a smaller viv for the babies but im not made of money.

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
You know you can't house all those babies together? They will kill each other.

You know that they lay 3-5 clutches of up to 30 eggs a piece? And each of those babies can eat up to 1000 crickets a week?

You know that if the female doesn't get extra food and her stress levels aren't managed, then this could kill her?

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Dannye92":1cebwzop said:
Well i spent £200+ quid on just a viv for spike and i dont have that sort of money to buy another one just to house the female. I have enough to buy a smaller viv for the babies but im not made of money.
You actually should be putting the female first as everything is dependent on her. If she isn't doing well, the babies could be deformed, sickly or not even survive. As mentioned, Petco has a big sale going on, selling tanks at $1.00 a gallon so a 40 gallon breeder for $40 is a steel. You really need to separate them asap. As others have said, he will breed with her non-stop which will prevent her from eating and basking when she wants/needs to. Also, having them housed together could very well cause her to become egg bound which is deadly because they need and want privacy when it's time to lay their eggs. What size tank do you have them both in now?

Did you increase her protein and calcium after they bred? How old is the female and what does she weigh?

Seperating is a good thing,... Not nescissary. I know many that leave the male in until after the 2nd clutch. Her getting stressed and dieing is worst case senerio. And I do not belive breeding a female once will give you 100 babies, less then half that.' If the tank is long enough just use a divider if you wish to seperate. You can easily make one out of card board If u can't get a incubator find somewhere in your house that stays at 83 or so and use that....As for being irresponsible, no big deal. It's a lizard not a human. Not saying we should treat them like trash,....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Eragon21
Top Bottom