Pre treating parasites?

So went to vet and my new bearded dragon had parasites and coccidia, they also told me to switch out the flood light back to a reptile basking bulb even if I have to dim it… a day after first treatment and bulb change and she is doing better already!

They also asked me if I wanted to treat my other 2 to be safe or bring them in for a fecal first..

It got me thinking and I forgot to ask them. With dogs when you have a litter of puppies or get a new one you are suppose to deworm it.. is this a safe practice for dragons? During Quarantine a new dragon and run it through a treatment of dewormer to be safe? Or does it take more out of reptiles then dogs?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Depends what the medicine/parasite being treated is.

Generally, parasite treatment is tough on a dragons system.

Generally, most dragons will have some number of detectable parasites in their system. A healthy dragon's immune system keeps these numbers in check, and leaves them non-symptomatic.

It's only during times of stress, or when husbandry is sub-par where parasites become an issue typically.

TLDR: Don't treat your others unless they are showing negative symptoms of parasite infections.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fortin28
Top Bottom