Pre treating parasites?

So went to vet and my new bearded dragon had parasites and coccidia, they also told me to switch out the flood light back to a reptile basking bulb even if I have to dim it… a day after first treatment and bulb change and she is doing better already!

They also asked me if I wanted to treat my other 2 to be safe or bring them in for a fecal first..

It got me thinking and I forgot to ask them. With dogs when you have a litter of puppies or get a new one you are suppose to deworm it.. is this a safe practice for dragons? During Quarantine a new dragon and run it through a treatment of dewormer to be safe? Or does it take more out of reptiles then dogs?

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Depends what the medicine/parasite being treated is.

Generally, parasite treatment is tough on a dragons system.

Generally, most dragons will have some number of detectable parasites in their system. A healthy dragon's immune system keeps these numbers in check, and leaves them non-symptomatic.

It's only during times of stress, or when husbandry is sub-par where parasites become an issue typically.

TLDR: Don't treat your others unless they are showing negative symptoms of parasite infections.

-Brandon

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

setting up a tank for a garter snake in a few months!!
Trying to finish setting up my beardie tank. Just gotta connect it to the power.
Okay lol so as I was told my baby was a boy when I rescued him hehe well I took him to my vet and was advised he is a she ! I was thinking of renaming her to Virgo from Toothless any suggestions for names 😊🥰
I am new and looking for a teen beardie. I have been doing a lot of research for about 2 years.
I'm new here but not new to dragons or snakes. Over the 7 years. I opened my heart and home to neglected. unwanted dras and snakes, some critical conditions. Then nursing them back to health and their final family home. I regularly help my reptiles vet with emergency appointments and I also provide the care in my little quenteen,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmgraham
Top Bottom