PowerSun Mercury Vapor Bulbs Research Help

Status
Not open for further replies.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
When I reinstate UV for Abu, Im also thinking of going with the T-Rex as the Megaray is now a 120w bulb which I think would raise Abu's temps too much. I think the T-rex was developed by the 'megaray people' and from what I can remember its the second most highly rated MVB available so I dont see there being a problem with it!

Loganator

Juvie Member
Miss T, It will be interesting to see if our beardies issues clear up when we both switch to the T-Rex. I don't know how long shipping will take, but when I make the switch, I will post updates.

It sounds like Abu's eye problems are more serious than Izzy's. At first, Izzy's eyes were closed all the time. Even when holding and interacting with him. Now it's just when left alone in his cage. He will open them and keep them open when we are talking to him or have him out with us. Hope Abu gets better soon!

Debbie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
It is quite sad, watching her. Right now, she has her head resting on her log and looks as tho she is trying to open her left eye - but she just cant :( I just placed an order for lots of butterworms and silkworms. Just so I have some special treats for her when she is able to find her food again.

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Just thought I would add a pic... this was this afternoon - when shes usually bright as a button.... she doesnt go to sleep early at all - in fact, we usually struggle to get her to close her eyes at night time!!!! :cry:

photo1.jpg

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I'm wondering if Abu thinks it's still the bad light??

I tell you Fargo's eyes WIDE OPEN and he ate. Gonna get the superworms out and see what happens next.

Loganator

Juvie Member
Sooo sad! How long has the bulb been turned off now? Izzy was the same way for almost a week. It was like he was wanting to sleep ALL the time. We would have to wake him to get him to eat. After the raising the Powersun MVB, it is much better, although he still closes his eyes more during the day than he used to before this bulb. So I am still going to order the T-Rex ActiveUV. I have seen a couple other posts on here about bd's closing their eyes with the PowerSunUV MVB. Of course, I saw those only AFTER I had already bought it.

Funny thing is, I bought the PowerSun to replace a compact coil fluorescent which the pet store recommended before I knew any better. I quickly found out how bad those are for their eyes after visiting this site. We had noticed no problems with the compact coli fluorescent. But we have eye issues now with the MVB. Go figure. Don't worry, I am still not returning to the compact coil bulb!

Debbie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Well I read on the link Tracie put at the beginning of this post that it can take up to a week for them to return to normal. One of her eyes actually seems stuck - like if you had conjunctivitis. She seems like she wants to open it, she just cant seem to separate her eye lids.

Shes in bed now. im not sure tho, if she knows its bed time :(

EDIT - Think we were posting at same time, Debbie! Anyway, the bulb has been off now for about 48 hours (its Thursday, bedtime now and I switched it off Tuesday, bedtime) its just odd that she seems worse now than she did before. I researched the powersun before I bought it and thought, I should give it a try as its so much easier to get over here. I also read all the bad reports on the Powersun AFTER I had bought it. I have emailed zoo med and hopefully they will respond - perhaps you should also do that as I think they may be aware that there is a problem with the bulbs in some cases.

Loganator

Juvie Member
EDIT - Think we were posting at same time, Debbie! Anyway, the bulb has been off now for about 48 hours (its Thursday, bedtime now and I switched it off Tuesday, bedtime) its just odd that she seems worse now than she did before. I researched the powersun before I bought it and thought, I should give it a try as its so much easier to get over here. I also read all the bad reports on the Powersun AFTER I had bought it. I have emailed zoo med and hopefully they will respond - perhaps you should also do that as I think they may be aware that there is a problem with the bulbs in some cases.

I will indeed send ZooMed an e-mail so they are aware they may be problems with this bulb. Thanks!

Debbie

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
Loganator":d85cc said:
I will indeed send ZooMed an e-mail so they are aware they may be problems with this bulb. Thanks!

No probs!! Hopefully they will do something about it - even just a clearer warning or something along the lines of 'may not be suitable for bearded dragons!!'

Anyway, does anyone know if it would be ok to rinse her eyes in some saline solution/clean her eyes with saline solution on a q-tip? Or is it all just a waiting game??

Thanks

T

sunkist

Sub-Adult Member
I think it would be fine. I read about doing it with a chameleon on here.

Also you can try putting a white light - beside the mvb.... I needed to turn my powersun back on cause I realized the light bulb I had was an energy saver one therefore no heat for fargo. He's keeping his eyes open more with the white light beside the mvb so maybe it is cutting down on some of the uvb??

MissT

BD.org Addict
Original Poster
I will have to get some tomoro and start rinsing her eyes then. I dont want to start reusing the light.... I just dont trust it anymore - less than 3 days of using it has temporarily blinded her. Fargo must be a much hardier little thing than Miss Abu... then again, I think Abu's mission in life is to make us worry about her lol!

Thanks guys for all your help!!

T

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

How is Abu doing today? I am sorry she has had so much trouble.
Yes, the T-rex will be just fine, it is just about as good as the Megaray & thus far there have not been any reported problems.
Regular saline solution can be used to wash her eyes out daily, that should be good as long as she will tolerate it.
I hope that she starts feeling better real soon.
Try to get some oral fluids such as water & pedialyte into her to help replace electrolytes for her.

Tracie

My 10 week old dragon is doing the same thing and i have her under a POWERSUN. For the last three days her left eye has been shut. I gently wiped it with a cotton swab soked with warm water and she opened it for a little bit but then went back. I dont know what to do either. I ordered a EXO Terra Solar glo to see if that helps. My other beardie did this two for about 3 days so im hoping this one gets better.

diamc

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
I'm sorry to hear that there have been so many problems with the PowerSun, the poor babies. MissT, be sure to let us know how the saline works, it seems like it may give Abu some relief. I've used it off & on to help with shedding that was either in the eye or right above it and the beardies didn't mind at all, it also did help.

Just a suggestion, but rather than using a flood lamp now, you think it might be easier on Abu's eyes just using standard household light bulbs? They might put out less of a glare and be easier on her eyes.

I have a T-Rex in Sabrina's tank and she has never had any eye issues at all. It's a 100 watt and is at a distance of 15" to get a temp of 105. Just thought I would mention that.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

Wow more people having issues. I think that I am going to talk with Frances regarding this. It must be some new batches that are coming out now, with the incorrect phosphor on them. The older version did not have these problems.
I agree with Diane, using a regular household light bulb would be a little easier on the eyes right now.
Let us know how Abu is doing.

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Meli
Top Bottom