Powersun Eyes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi all,

I know I should search all the posts and look through everything - so don't flame me for not doing it... busy adult with 2 kids, house, dog and now a dragon... We bought the Powersun 100watt merc vapor bulb thinking WOW heat & UV all in one... spare no $$$...

well now I see all these posts about the issues... can someone post a pic of what the eyes look like? I think our new baby is suffering? he seems to keep one or both eyes closed... has dark /brownish /grey marks around eyes... eats less than a few days ago (only had him a week)... will post pics when / if I find time....

I have turned the light off and just have a normal 100W lightbulb in there - also still trying to get temps right... basking is only like 92... should I turn on the ceramic heater all day too? seems like too much for a 20 gal tank.

Thanks... guess I should just go order the Mega-Ray!

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
No attacking here....I had issues with the PowerSun 100watt and one of my beardies.
Okay I was going to search for the pic's of Bender when he had issues then I read farther down into your post.

Your issue is that you are using it on a 20gal viv...MVB(Mercury Vapor Bullbs) are not recommended for enclosures under 40gal breeder size. However after the issues that I had with the PowerSun I do recommend not using that bulb even on a 40 gal. Also the MVB's need to be like 12 to 14 inches from the basking spot.

Can I ask what type of thermometer you are using to take temps with?
If your using a stick on dial or tape strip then your not getting correct basking temp readings.

I suggest that if your going to continue to use the 20gal then switch to a Reptisun 10.0.

Most definately shut off the PowerSun before you fry the babies brain.
What wattage is your ceramic heat emitter?

I can relate. We moved our beardie up from starter cage to a big tank that is 48" x 18 x 17" (tall). Tried the T-Rex Active UV Heat - Flood & Spot Lamps: : 100 Watt and had the following problem:

In order to get any "heat" from the bulb, we had to place it right at 12" from beardie. Thought this was ok according to box, but I later learned that if it is in reflective type hood it should be farther away. Tried placing farther away but heat measured with temp gun was so minimal that I decided to just go with a UBA/B tube instead.

My beardies one eye did close alot from initial use of the trex. After a UVB breakk and switching to a reptisun 5 tube I have leftover from smaller tank - he is doing much better.

Now I need to decide if a Reptisun 10 tube (20" from beardie penetration) will be okay in a 17" inch tall tank.

Anybody have issues with minimum distances for reptisun 10 tubes?

PS - to original poster. I did buy a Zilla Digital Infrared Thermometer: : Digital Infrared Thermometer to test temps and have found it to be a great tool! Wish I had bought it sooner.

Thank

SirCharles

Original Poster
The light was 12+ inches away, and still not getting the tank hot enough! I am using an old fashioned mercury wall thermometer - like you see on the side of a house. Ordering the good UVB light today.

Now I changed to a normal 100 watt bulb by day and a 60 watt ceramic at night - but basking might not be hot enough so I might try ceramic & bulb by day.

fresnowitte

BD.org Sicko
Okay first of all the reptisun 5.0 is not adequate for a basking reptile. They are not recommended for sun dwelling/basking reptiles...the UVB output is not sufficient for them. It's only 5% basking reptiles do better with 10%. Here's a great link for anyone that would like to read up on UVB testings and what is best for what reptiles. http://www.uvguide.co.uk/fluorescenttuberesults.htm

Now I need to decide if a Reptisun 10 tube (20" from beardie penetration) will be okay in a 17" inch tall tank.
Okay this bulb the Reptisun 10.0 works for many reptiles however the distance is different for basking reptiles than it would be for other type of reptiles. For a beardie or sun dweller/basking reptile they distance for a Reptisun 10.0 from basking spot should be minimum 6" to maxium 8". :wink:

FourGremlins the t-rex MVB has very good ratings if I were you I'd just buy another non reflective hood. :wink:

Another good place to pick up an instantaneous infrared temp gun is Harbor Freight Tools.
The brand name is Cen-tech and they have several models...I got one at our local HFT's for only $9.99
I love it! They have a website but I've found that many of the stores carry merchandise that they maynot have on the site. This is a very good little tool to have I too wish I'd have gotten one much sooner than I did. :wink:

Thanks for your help fresnowitte.

I think I am going to go with the reptisun 10 uvb as I believe that it does not have a minimum safe distance as the mvb does. I thought the MVB would be convenient as it has both UVA/B and Heat - but it just didnt work out in my setup. It has to be so far away that I ended up needing another basking light to keep the heat up.

The small tank that Ozzy was in for his 1st months with us worked well with the Reptisun 5 and the reflective tube hood it was in. I could see where a larger tank would be an issue with the reprisun 5 tube. I think sometimes people might think a bulb is good or bad without looking at all components such as ballast, room tempature, distances, tank size, etc. We have had to play hit or miss to find just the right setups for our situations.

I dont think Ozzy was lacking UVB under the reptisun 5 tube as he is apx 6 mths old and shows no sign of mvb or other health issues. He eats well, etc. The only real problem wehavehad is with the eye from the MVB.

Now if I could only get him to eat his veggies! Just kidding - he likes his greens :)

Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Bulb
Other Zoo Med Products
Zoo Med ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Bulbs Provide the exact band of rays within the UVB spectrum for maximum vitamin D3 synthesis and calcium absorption. ReptiSun 5.0 UVB Bulbs supply an amazing 5.0% UVB and up to 30% UVA; outputs active UVB up to 12" from the bulb's surface. Use with lizards (other than iguanas), to help prevent bone problems, as well as turtles and tortoises to improve shell growth. Increases appetite, activity and breeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rootie
Top Bottom