Power sun issues - still?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cmoore

So is there still problems with these Zoo Med Power Sun UV Mercury Vapor lamps? We just adopted a new baby dragon (Petco – just got them in that day) and for the first two nights, I did not have the UVB bulb. I purchased the Power Sun 160W bulb as recommended by the vet tech who I bought the terrarium from. Once I had his new digs all set up and put him in there, he seemed to have gone downhill. (He’s in an Exo Terrra 36” w x 18” x 18” He’s not really eating, but I can get him to drink. He is not basking under the light, but off to the side of it. He’s closes his eyes when I try to put a cricket in front of him. He hasn’t pooped but once, until yesterday, I put a little olive oil on his mouth and got him to lick a tiny bit of squash baby food. When I got off work, he had pooped. He still would not eat the crickets or tiny dubia, but he eagerly took about 4 licks of the baby food and looked a little better. I just ordered a Reptisun 10.0 fluorescent 17 watt light 24” and a exo terra sun-glo basking spot lamp 75 watt from Amazon which should be here on Friday. In the mean time, should I take out the Power Sun bulb and just use a halogen flood light over him? I feel so bad for the little guy especially, if I’ve caused this by putting him under that light! The following is an email I sent to someone asking for advise, but have not heard back yet... Then I came on here and read about the light

So, a couple of weeks ago my daughter and I were in Petco in The Dalles. There was this one baby bearded dragon that caught our attention. He/she followed us back and forth across his/her enclosure. My daughter really wanted to get it, but I told her maybe, and if I found the right set up for a reasonable cost. Well, I did. So,we took a trip up to The Dalles on Thurs to put a hold on it. Of course it was gone. The sales associated told us she had just gotten 6 new ones in and she was about to take them out of the box. She put them in a tub of water so we could see them move. Of course now, we were not leaving Petco without one of those babies, as I didn't want it to spend any time in that store. We picked out one that was average size compared to the rest. Not the biggest, not the smallest, but the one that seemed the most laid back. He measures 6" nose to end of tail. She brought him out to us in a small plastic container with waded up paper towel in it - he looked squished. As soon as we got to the car, my daughter took him out and held him all the way home. I bought him 60 small crickets to get started, and I have the baby Dubai's from my colony that I purchased from you. I did not have the proper set up yet - turns out I was not able to pick it up until Saturday morning. So he/she - we call it Nacho spent the first two nights in a large plastic cricket keeper, with a heating pad underneath, and a 60W light bulb over head. Which of course by no means was adequate, I should have known better and waited until I had everything set up.

Anyway, he ate about 5 crickets that afternoon. On Friday, he probably ate only another 5. I'm not positive - but close. Sometime between lights out at 8:00 p.m. and 6:00 am Saturday morning he had a bowel movement. It was about the size of a penny and kind of runny. I've never seen BD poo before, so not sure what it's suppose to look like. I went to Portland and picked up all the supplies that I purchased from a vet tech on Craigslist. Brought it all home and sanitized it all in bleach and thoroughly rinsed and dried everything. Then we put him in his new home. Is the largest Exo Terra wide terrarium there is. I know, big for him now. I have the RetpiSun UVB light-all in one light for uvb and basking, and a heat emitter for extra heat. His enclosure at the basking spot which is about 9 inches from the light is at 105. The cool side is 80-85. Saturday late afternoon he gobbled up about 10 baby Dubai roaches, I'm not sure what he ate in the morning. At this point I had not dusted any of the bugs as the vet tech told me her vet said they didn't need it as the greens you gut load the feeders with and the greens you feed your BD gives them plenty of calcium. - Note throughout these 3 days, we offered him crickets and Dubai several times a day, but he really didn't want anything. I also bought some squash baby food and he had a little bit of that on Friday evening. Also on Saturday he ate Sunday rolls around and he does not eat much of anything that I saw, except 2 small silk worms. They were about 3/4" long. A little big for him, but since they were soft, I thought they would be o.k. Oh and we have been misting him daily with nice warm water. He seems to like that, but not a bath. I could not get him to eat anything at all yesterday, but I did hear him rustling around in the paper so he may have caught a cricket. This morning I left work and checked in on him about 9:30 this morning. He is not looking so hot. I tried to feed him a cricket, but he just closes his eyes when I get it close to him. I felt his belly and it's soft except there is a little hard spot just above his vent. I read on what to do about constipation. I gave him a tiny bit of the baby food and a drop of olive oil. He is not laying under the basking light, more on a branch between it and the cool side, with his head on the branch. I took a digital read and it's 92 there. I tried putting him in a warm bath 100 temp, but he wanted right back out. His eyes look droopy and his skin is darker than it was, and he closes his eyes every time I try to get him to eat. I am really worried. We don't have a reptile vet in Hood River. We've only had him going on 6 days. He has only pooped that once. Everyday we have given him fresh greens (dandelion, collard and escarole) but he has not eaten any of that from day one. I think that about covers it. Any suggestions?

Thanks so much - Cheryl

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello Cheryl,

I PM'd you so let me know how your girl is doing!
I have been talking with a few people who have still had some issues with this light. I am unsure why the wavelength is still not good.
I would be more than happy to test your light, if you would like to mail it to me I can check the spectrum for you.
How is she doing today?

Thanks.
Tracie

cmoore

Original Poster
I Pm'd you back two messages??? They are in my sent box..... I'm just leaving for home now. I'll PM you again and let you know how he is..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hseith
Top Bottom