Potty Training

Status
Not open for further replies.
All right, so I want to potty train my Beardie Wilco to do his business in the bath water. He enjoys doing it in horrible inconvenient places in his enclosure. On top of his basking rock, in his water bowl (I had him drinking out of it, then he decided naw it's a toilet!.. sometimes), on his branches, on a thermometer I had in there... anywhere but on the ceramic tiles. Heres a quick story:

One day after he went on his basking rock, I had a little "talk" with him expressing how I don't enjoy that. I walked into my room the next day and he was on his rock facing out and as I approached he was intensely staring at me, and he slowly raises his tail, I literally yelled out "DON"T YOU DARE!" and then -plop-

So for the sake of my sanity, and the sake of cleaning repti-carpet is a PAIN ( i have half ceramic half repti carpet), in the hopes my beardie will be one of the blessed ones that will relate their bath with washroom, what is the best way to try and get this set up and work? =p

luckydragon

I have 3 beardies. In each viv I have a small cat litter box with about 3 inches of play sand and a few pieces of slate. I put the feeding bowl in a corner of the litter box and my dragons poop about 80% of the time in the box, typically shortly after eating. It is easy to clean up with a litter scoop and also helps keep food from getting tossed about in the viv. They also enjoy playing in the sand.

Good luck,

Tim

littlewing

Original Poster
luckydragon":1y4xn3zv said:
I have 3 beardies. In each viv I have a small cat litter box with about 3 inches of play sand and a few pieces of slate. I put the feeding bowl in a corner of the litter box and my dragons poop about 80% of the time in the box, typically shortly after eating. It is easy to clean up with a litter scoop and also helps keep food from getting tossed about in the viv. They also enjoy playing in the sand.

Good luck,

Tim

Thank you very much :)

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
I think it's just something they learn eventually. All living creatures wants their living space to be clean with little disruption to their life. Many dragons prefer going in the bath because it keeps their homes clean. If they poop on their basking rock/log, then take it out to clean and sterilize. He probably won't like losing his furniture regularly to cleaning, eventually he'll make the connection and go elsewhere. If you want to teach them to go in the bath, then it's a matter of timing at first. You time it right for a while, then eventually they grow to prefer it.

littlewing

Original Poster
ziggy23":2gvsam4z said:
I think it's just something they learn eventually. All living creatures wants their living space to be clean with little disruption to their life. Many dragons prefer going in the bath because it keeps their homes clean. If they poop on their basking rock/log, then take it out to clean and sterilize. He probably won't like losing his furniture regularly to cleaning, eventually he'll make the connection and go elsewhere. If you want to teach them to go in the bath, then it's a matter of timing at first. You time it right for a while, then eventually they grow to prefer it.

I def. do a sterilization of the items, I'm starting to do a "research project" if you will, seeing what time he goes, so then I can try get him in the bath around that time, he also hates! hates! bath time, so if I can get him in, he goes to the bathroom he gets out right away I hope he will clue into that ^_^

MiNuS31

littlewing":14nqy0ck said:
I def. do a sterilization of the items, I'm starting to do a "research project" if you will, seeing what time he goes, so then I can try get him in the bath around that time, he also hates! hates! bath time, so if I can get him in, he goes to the bathroom he gets out right away I hope he will clue into that ^_^

Or he might gets upset and stressed out and won't go...imagine if you have to go to the bathroom...then someone starts knocking on the door or doing something you hate...I mean they are retiles...you gotta just clean it up...maybe they not able to hold it like some other pets and just drop when or where they need too...I had a dragon go on my shoulder one time I was holding him...

Best way to deal with it I think is to just use tile in the whole tank...that way you can take a damp paper towel to get it...

ziggy23

Gray-bearded Member
MiNuS31":38kl5qxb said:
littlewing":38kl5qxb said:

Or he might gets upset and stressed out and won't go...imagine if you have to go to the bathroom...then someone starts knocking on the door or doing something you hate...I mean they are retiles...you gotta just clean it up...maybe they not able to hold it like some other pets and just drop when or where they need too...I had a dragon go on my shoulder one time I was holding him...

Best way to deal with it I think is to just use tile in the whole tank...that way you can take a damp paper towel to get it...

they can most definitely hold it, just maybe not as well when they're young. This forum is filled with people who's dragons will ONLY go in the bath.

littlewing

Original Poster
MiNuS31":1meoj70a said:
littlewing":1meoj70a said:

Yeah, I'm gonna get more tiles, I just thought it would be convenient for both me and him if like other peoples dragons on the forum would go in the bath.

MiNuS31

littlewing":3pwchblo said:
MiNuS31":3pwchblo said:
littlewing":3pwchblo said:

Yeah, I'm gonna get more tiles, I just thought it would be convenient for both me and him if like other peoples dragons on the forum would go in the bath.

I know...but the good thing about dragons is that they have personalites that show more then alot of other pets...so not every pet will be the same...kinda like dogs...when people knock...some start barking...or some sit making no noise waiting for someone they don't know to come walking in to surprise them...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HeathLizard
Top Bottom