Potty trained dragon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowball0807

Hatchling Member
I didn't think it was possible to entirely potty train a dragon. I've always put my boy in the bathtub every morning to poop, and since it became a schedule, after the first month or so he never had an accident. I had left him in the care of someone else recently for a week with a bowl of water, so that they wouldn't have to bathe him every day. Only to come home and find out he had held it the entire week, though was ready to go the second he saw the bathtub.
Another occasion, just because I think this is hilarious.. Just the other day my mom walked in my room and opened Spartie's cage to play with him. She got distracted and ended up walking away with the door open. Later that day, I found him and his pile of poo on the opposite side of the house in front of the bathtub. As interesting as it was to clean, I couldn't help laughing.
So. I've never heard of a freak like him. Does anyone have a dragon who'll hold it in for weeks just to keep his cage clean? He hasn't had an accident since he was just a tiny thing that fit in my hand, haha

Lauram63110

Juvie Member
A lot of people will tell you that their dragons do not like being in the cage with poo. My Lizzy seems to hate his poo! The one time he did it in the viv, he was running back and forth and back and forth trying to get away from it. Of course, what he ended up doing was running thru it, so he was just making things worse. After that, I read about potty training him, and it worked! We have not had any more poo in the viv in over a year. That one time was my fault because I didn't know much about Beardies, but this site has helped me greatly! I know that the routine was very helpful in getting him trained, and it sounds like you got yours going well that way too. We have taken Lizzy to visit relatives several times this year and I took a large plastic bowl for his morning swim, but he never would go in the bowl, and like yours, seemed to want to wait til we were home so he could use the bathtub that he was used to. It's pretty interesting that yours knew where in the house the bathtub was, and waited to do it till he got there! Honestly, Lizzy was so much easier to potty train than my dog, and he seems so much less likely to forget his potty training, too! Lizzy was 4 yrs old when I got him, and the previous owner did not do the potty training thing with him; she had him on sand...icky poo-ey sand, so he learned potty training as an adult. You might even say that you CAN teach an old lizard a new trick! :wink:

Aren't Beardies great! When people say he's "just a lizard" or "just a reptile" they simply have no idea how clever an animal they are talking about.

birksy

lol same as Geordie :) bought him from the petstore and not once since I have had him as he ever pooped in his cage :) always has been in the bath and like yours he's pretty much got use to that and know's to do it in there :)

there are funny little things lol :)

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I have 4 male dragons & they all poop in different areas. Leo and Didi will always poop in the tub (kitchen sink) but won't hold on, they'll poop in their tanks, but tend to hide it somehow so I don't see it right away. Rubio won't poop anywhere but on his newspaper in his tank, he's usually right on, so easy to clean, just change the newspaper. Lonzo, my edest, was trained to poop in his bath & he still will if you time it right. Otherwise he'll hold on until it's his time to run around the living room; I have a ramp with power sun at the top, so he'll find a spot on the ramp, or underneath it, then I have to find it & pick it up. So they're very funny, all of my dragons will run away from their poop, as if it's radioactive or something :mrgreen: It's so funny & they'll stay on the opposite side of where the poop is & wait paitently for me to take it out. Rubio is the funniest, he runs from side to side, like yours, then settled at the opposite side and wait. Dragons are so funny!
Deb

tgolden

Sub-Adult Member
I'm trying to get mine trained to do it in water. He does good as long as I put him in the water early in the a.m. but if I wait to long there will be a mound of poo waiting for me. I put a soaker in his cage but he won't use it

MurderVictim

Hatchling Member
Mine hates his baths...It seems as though he'd rather go in his cage, near the front right corner. He does go in water sometimes, but I think it's a strategy of his to get out of the water quicker since usually when he goes, I clean up and decide to just dry him off and put him back.

I don't think training him to go in the water is a very good idea for him if he continues to hate the water xD

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
So he's like my Rubio, who will hold it in for long enough until he's back in his tank & poops on the paper he always poops on. Because of this the bottom of his tank is all newspaper. The ones who poop in the water, they have reptile carpet. I go by what they want, not what I want.
Deb

thebenior

Hatchling Member
My dragon doesn't like going in any particular place, but he definitely doesn't like doing his business in his tank.

NeosMom

Juvie Member
I am soooo jealous! Fluffy poops right on her basking spot. If not there, then the ledge just below. Either way, it's right where she spends 80% of her time. She stays out of it for a little while hoping it will get cleaned for her. Eventually she gets over it and will walk through it. If it's there long enough, she gives up and will just lay right in it. Eeeeewwww! I hate it cuz if she poops while everyone is at work / school and she times it just right, she will make a huge mess of the cage by the time someone is home. Can be as long as 8 hours if she does it just right. When that happens, I get to SCRUB the rocks, plus give her a good soak (whether it's her scheduled day or not). My kingdom to potty train my baby!

Figment has the decency to poo on the tile floor and avoid it until I get home. Super easy clean up.

Bwalter

Sub-Adult Member
My girl poops any where in her tank, but will run from it and won't get any where near it, so even tho I have to clean it up at least I know it won't get smeared any where. She has pooped a couple times in her bath.

This subject really intrigues me, as I recently became a dragon lover.
I have watched the past week that Leela (2 years old) will Poo in the corner of her tank on her tile near her pellet dish.
I moved her cage around a bit to try and adjust this and she will still go to the pellet dish and go.
I'm going to try this and see if I can get her on a regular schedule to help keep her tank fresher longer.

Thanks for the idea

Tim

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
You all are making me jealous with your poop-hating potty trained dragons. I wish i could say the same things about my dragons but they dont mind poop. Quite often Beardie baths in my house arent for staying hydrated, but to wash the poop of fod them! Especially my bigger boy. He'll run through his messes, leaving the bottoms of his feet filthy. My little boy will sit next to his pile patiently asif he thinks its his frien dor something. LOL!

sweetiepie9

BD.org Sicko
Retired Moderator
I've so enjoyed reading all the funny stories about beardies & their poops. My biggest dragon Rubio has learned that if he's going to poop it better be before I go to work, or he's stuck with it until I get home after 9p, so he now makes sure that he poops right before I leave, then I can clean it up, as he hates to have it in his tank for the day. They are alot smarter than alot of people think. They remember things, I mean who ever heard of a dragon changing his pooping schedule so his tank will be cleaned up right away? Only my Rubio :mrgreen: I just wanted to add that Rubio has his own special friend:

002.jpg

This is Rubio, his special friend is his glass dragon friend, this is a pic of him with his friend in the patio door & he also has the same friend in his tank. He plays with his friend all day. Most dragons would black beard & bob & just hate the reflection, but not Rubio, he just plays all day :mrgreen:

herpgirl2510

Sub-Adult Member
I always get a kick out of rosie if he poops and I am not home to get it right away. I come home and he is black in the corner giving me the dirtiest look.

PumpkinJelly

Sub-Adult Member
Sweetiepie9 - Rubio is so cute! So is his reflection buddy! In the picture, he looks as if he's saying "Look Mom! My buddy is here!"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Any thoughts an knowledge will be helpful. Thank u
Im needing some questions answered about my female beardeddragon, I honestly have no idea on age , she was a recuse, as ive had a couple in my life an have experience. So 9 weeks in , she earing well pooping well getting comfortable, then approx 3-4 days ago the digging started. So I got a dig box set up in her 75 g tank. Well within 2 hours she dropped an egg. Now only one egg an its been 10 hours.shouldiBworried
В санатории "Сукно" вас ждет полное погружение в мир здоровья и релакса. Эксперты санатория разработают индивидуальную программу оздоровления, которая поможет вам чувствовать себя лучше. Для получения дополнительной информации посетите наш сайт putevka.com/krasnodar/sukko
I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
brikev9799
Top Bottom