Potential Separation Anxiety?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Keeann

Hey guys! A while back I had a dragon issue where Avery wasn't digesting fruits and veggies very well. I made sure the temps were fine, cut pieces up a little smaller, made sure he was well hydrated, and I'm working on getting a 10 UVB instead of the 5 that his viv came with (Pfft, Petsmart :bleick: ), and he's doing a lot better!

I did notice recently after a 4-day absence from home, that upon coming in he was sitting in his basking spot with a black beard and very black markings. I know that they get darker in color when trying to warm up, but what got me confused is that once I picked him up (no aggression at all, despite the black beard) and took him out of the viv, he toned down back to his normal colour again. It was definitely warmer in the tank than out. I also noticed when I first picked him up that he had stress marks darker than I've ever seen them, but within 2 minutes of holding him they were totally gone.

I put him back in the viv so I could eat dinner, and when I took him out again because I like to give him lots of running time when I've been away a while, his dark colour and stress marks were back. They faded once I let him chill in my hand for a while and he got some love and petting.

I know the temperatures aren't a problem (always between 95-105 for basking, usually between 80-85 on the cooler side), and he just recently shed all the scales on his head/face & beard so he's not just grumpy from that, so I'm wondering if maybe he just got cabin fever because he wasn't running around outside the viv as much as he was used to? I'm very new to the reptile world, so I'm still learning, and especially Avery's specific little quirks. He's a character!

Just curious of you guys think he just felt too cooped up, or maybe he just wanted to be held? I don't even know if separation anxiety in beardies is real, lol, but he is definitely very docile and loving, especially for having been running wild outside for who even knows how long. As someone who had only mammals all 22 years of my life, I quickly learned that dragons have personalities just as real as the more expressive pets, so nothing would surprise me, haha!

BrightStar

Hatchling Member
If I'm even ten minutes late getting Rygel out for bedtime cuddles, he's all black beard and stress marks. (Same if I'm late for morning cuddles). They go away once I have him snuggled up against me. So, I do think that they come to expect routine and can get upset when things change.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
I'm with Gormagon on this one...I'm sure reptiles get habituated to a routine and people. It could have been a change in the routine or nothing at all. Its just a matter of how you perceive it :)
"Stress marks" are not always an indication of stress or illness...the term isn't really accurate. It could be called "stress marks" because it stresses the owner more than the lizard :)

kingofnobbys

BD.org Sicko
I can tell you my skinks and beardies are were all missing me lots when I was away (forced stay in hospital for cellulitis for 3 - 4 weeks) , my little boy beardie Toothless went on a hunger strike and refused to eat anything, and was all clingy and snuggly to me when returned home, and starving hungry (ate great for me).

On an occasion when my wife was talking to me on the phone and turned on "speaker phone" all of the lizards responded instantly when they each heard my voice , looking in all directions trying to find me.

They do miss their humans and a lot more is going on inside their heads than most (even most keepers) give them credit for, definitely smarter and have better memories than most would think them capable off, they are not all reflex and instinct.

Rankins

Gray-bearded Member
Its totally impossible for me to actually know what goes on in a lizards head. I may be underestimating them a bit...but I do know I'm not overestimating them ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

I just set Swordtail's timer for his bath and paused it so I could actually fill his soaking bowl up and he crawled over my phone and canceled the timer 🤣
Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
camila
Top Bottom