Post brumation behavior?

zackcoghlin1

Original Poster
Hello so my beardie zarra I believe is ending her first burmation...she was in a deep sleep for like 3 months then one day I look over and she's out and basking....she was out for a day or 2 then went back into her hide and was sleeping again...now she seems in a partial brumation almost she's semi sleeping and popping her head out with her eyes open every once and a while turning around and sleeping more.....she's drank some water here and there...still not eating....ive read that this could be normal brumation behavior but I'm just reaching out to check with people....her weight has been consistent throughout and I've slowly moved her days longer and her temps up to normal assuming she's starting to come out. Can yall tell me if this is normal behavior, if she's coming out or is in just a lessened brumation state? Pix included

Attachments

• 16721820157247626462706835482384.jpg
    16721820157247626462706835482384.jpg
    229 KB · Views: 82
  • 16721820468717171050292055533493.jpg
    16721820468717171050292055533493.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 54
  • 16721820707215678365539892123962.jpg
    16721820707215678365539892123962.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 67

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Hi -

My dragon just came out her 11th brumation - she’s turning 12 years old in a month - so I know the whole brumation emergence can be anxiety inducing! She went down at just under a year old for her first one - and honestly the end of burmation has never gotten 100% easier on my brain / my anxiety - even tho I feel like it should by now.

So my girl just slept for 5 and half months - and started to wake up about 3 weeks ago - she’s getting back in the game now - probably has a little more catching up to do since she’s getting old and things tend to take more time.

In my experience, what your Zarra is doing is totally normal - and it’s hard b/c one day it seems like - “cool, it’s done it’s fine it’s over, yay!” - but then the next it’s like - “ummm, false alarm okay what’s up with this”. It has always been a *process* for my dragon - i would say it takes a good month for her to bounce back totally to normality … sometimes quicker in her younger years.

For me and hopefully for you - it’s very normal for them to emerge from it in stages like that - up/down/here/there - I always try to imagine being asleep for months on end - (yours is like mine - a hardcore deep sleeper!!) - and suddenly opening my eyes / trying to move my body / figuring things out … I would totally be tired and slow and apprehensive and ugh at first - and also not having used limbs and muscles and eyes and all that for that long of a time, it’s like relearning again before back to full speed and routine again.

Good that you have started to turn the lights back on, I would keep them on for the usual on/off pattern just like you are doing now that she’s showing definite signs of activity - this is a good thing - 🙂

Hydration! Water has always played an important role at the point that your girl is at right now - I always offer water often right at this point (I hydrate by syringe, that’s how she’s always drank) and that has always seemed to help with perking up … plus she gets crazy thirsty from the whole thing.

Your girl will prob love some water (however slow or fast she may be to drink it - I let mine take her time with it and I make sure she fully swallows it before handling her or giving her extra water, I don’t want to over do it or under do it for those first drinks) - and soon start basking more, and then be ready to start eating again and get her system going - all the happy post-burmation firsts - the first movements, first basks, first drink, first food, first poop, alllll the things - the hormones might hit - and she may get energy bursts and run around like mine did when she was younger … but it’s all a process, that’s for sure. And it’s a very good sign that Zarra’s weight hasn’t really changed. Awesome.

It can be a stressful time for both parties involved (I think more for the person!) ha - but sounds like she’s on the right / normal track so far 🙂

Last edited:

zackcoghlin1

Original Poster
Hi -

My dragon just came out her 11th brumation - she’s turning 12 years old in a month - so I know the whole brumation emergence can be anxiety inducing! She went down at just under a year old for her first one - and honestly the end of burmation has never gotten 100% easier on my brain / my anxiety - even tho I feel like it should by now.

So my girl just slept for 5 and half months - and started to wake up about 3 weeks ago - she’s getting back in the game now - probably has a little more catching up to do since she’s getting old and things tend to take more time.

In my experience, what your Zarra is doing is totally normal - and it’s hard b/c one day it seems like - “cool, it’s done it’s fine it’s over, yay!” - but then the next it’s like - “ummm, false alarm okay what’s up with this”. It has always been a *process* for my dragon - i would say it takes a good month for her to bounce back totally to normality … sometimes quicker in her younger years.

For me and hopefully for you - it’s very normal for them to emerge from it in stages like that - up/down/here/there - I always try to imagine being asleep for months on end - (yours is like mine - a hardcore deep sleeper!!) - and suddenly opening my eyes / trying to move my body / figuring things out … I would totally be tired and slow and apprehensive and ugh at first - and also not having used limbs and muscles and eyes and all that for that long of a time, it’s like relearning again before back to full speed and routine again.

Good that you have started to turn the lights back on, I would keep them on for the usual on/off pattern just like you are doing now that’s she’s showing signs of activity - this is a good thing - 🙂

Water has always played an important role at the point that your girl is at right now - I always offer water often right at this point (I hydrate by syringe, that’s how she’s always drank) and that has always seemed to help with perking up … plus they get crazy thirsty from the whole thing. Your girl will prob take the water happily and soon start basking more, and then be ready to start eating again and get her system going - all the happy post-burmation firsts - the first movements, first basks, first drink, first food, first poop, alllll the things - the hormones might hit - and she may get energy bursts and run around like mine did when she was younger … but it’s all a process, that’s for sure. And it’s a very good sign that Zarra’s weight hasn’t really changed. Awesome.

It can be a stressful time for both parties involved (I think more for the person!) ha - but sounds like she’s on the right / normal track so far 🙂
Thank you so much this response has made me calm down alot...I also feed by syringe and offer daily if she pops her head out....she's about a year and a half so she's nice and young and the vet always says she's the vision of perfect beardie health.... you are very much appreciated as I couldn't find many post brumation behavior threads or articles

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
Thank you so much this response has made me calm down alot...I also feed by syringe and offer daily if she pops her head out....she's about a year and a half so she's nice and young and the vet always says she's the vision of perfect beardie health.... you are very much appreciated as I couldn't find many post brumation behavior threads or articles
For sure!

It’s always nerve racking - I find myself starring at her and overthinking every situation I can possibly come up with when she is coming out of brumation. I have to remind myself to chill.

I always always do the water syringe first regardless of anything - I feel like that hydration is so important - then I start to do some greens, and then in a little bit her protein, but all the while making sure she is basking / digesting if she eats - and that she poops before I continue to keep moving forward with things.

Pretty soon your Zarra should be back in business, both on her own accord and with your love / your help 🙂

I guess the key is not to rush things, but to also make sure things do move along - like if Zarra eats her greens or her feeders - make sure she’s basking to digest it, etc. And that first post-burmation poop is such a sigh of relief and happiness that their system is working in the right way.

I have used Bene-Bac Gel a few times in the past when she’s woken up from burmation and her eating / digesting wasn’t on par, just to get things balanced in her tummy again. Thats always an option if you encounter that issue.

I hope Zarra and you are happy and healthy and can soon say you both had your first successful burmation! It’s a very very cool thing!
🙂

zackcoghlin1

Original Poster
So the very same night I send this yet again I come home and she's out basking in her hammock....perked up and everything.....no salad gone yet or anything but more movement then the past week and just normal lights.....thanks for the help with the nerves and also its nervous as hell when the first one starts and ends it seems BUT when shes actually asleep and maintains a lower temp .....they give you the SIDE EYE amd you know all is well.....it's now when I'm not sure exactly what she's doing that I'm crazy.......but it seems normal ......(photo when I get home)

Attachments

• 16722027317583683138008662407525.jpg
    16722027317583683138008662407525.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 58
  • 16722027538878460297016810894662.jpg
    16722027538878460297016810894662.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 16722027679627853595197453594406.jpg
    16722027679627853595197453594406.jpg
    199.3 KB · Views: 58

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
So the very same night I send this yet again I come home and she's out basking in her hammock....perked up and everything.....no salad gone yet or anything but more movement then the past week and just normal lights.....thanks for the help with the nerves and also its nervous as hell when the first one starts and ends it seems BUT when shes actually asleep and maintains a lower temp .....they give you the SIDE EYE amd you know all is well.....it's now when I'm not sure exactly what she's doing that I'm crazy.......but it seems normal ......(photo when I get home)

Hi and you are so welcome! I hope it’s useful info - while every dragon is different from another, there also are certain similar behaviors we see in them as well. After the first one or two brumations, you can start to get a picture of what is unique and normal to your dragon 🙂

Awwww, Zarra is so beautiful. She certainly is she is wearing her post-brumation look very well - she’s simply glowing - you go Zarra! Her face is so adorable. What is Zarras length?

If you buy her insects / worms online, you might wanna go ahead an place an order now so that you’ll have them soon if she is wanting to eat - (that’s what I did a little while back, and the timing worked out really good). I’m glad I placed that order when I did, because she was definitely ready to eat when they arrived!

I love it, I am so glad you sent more pics! And I agree with you - internet searches seem to yield more information about signs of starting burmation and what to during burmation, but not as much detailed info about coming out of it and their post-burmation behaviors.

Also, I feel like for a full on sleeping brumaters like ours, there really isn’t too much to do for the “during” part - the lights go off (that’s what I do, some people don’t), you keep an eye on the temps, and you check for movement. Not much more you really can do. There are different “types” of brumation too - so it’s definitely nice to be able to come on here and find people that have dragons brumating similar to your own to talk about it all with.

blue11

Sub-Adult Member
WOW! I don't think I will like burmation.
Oh no! It’s really not bad and can be interesting thing to think about and read about - the fact that they know themselves well enough to do it and follow their instincts is quite intriguing! It’s just the getting used to it / figuring it all out part that can be tricky.

Your dragon might not ever brumate - or they may be one of the “hang out on the cool side and nap” brumaters. The only actual bummed out part of it all is missing them while they are down … but I will say being reunited when they wake is great and really sweet 🙂🥹❤️!

Last edited:

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Julielps
Top Bottom