Possibly sick nubby

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
We moved nubby into his own 4x2x2 tank a few weeks ago and ever since then, he's just... stopped eating. I can get him to eat maybe one super worms a day, if I'm lucky. He used to *love* his salads, eat every single bite. Now he won't touch it. Period. He's about 7 months and we're worried. He acts almost like he's afraid of everything, I sometimes can't even get him to eat hornworms. I don't know what to do, I know they slow down on bugs as they get older but he just doesn't want anything. We need a fecal sample for the vet because it's prolly parasites (nova and toothless have amoebas, nova has a human based one that can cause damage and toothless' is non specific so it's real important nova gets her meds) and I'm worried nubby is being ravaged by parasites but he's not eating so he's not really pooping. Usually a bath makes him go within minutes but nothing this time. What can I do to get him to eat and maybe go.?

His basking spot is a good 107ish, the ambient is reading 91. He basks, runs around, headbobs at the girls and toothless, I just don't understand why he won't eat. Before this started, he ate superworms, crickets, roaches, hornworms and his salad consists of kale, collards, mustards and turnip greens and he typically would eat every bite but not lately.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Could be he's going through puberty 😕 your dragons grow fast so he may be more interested in breeding. Just a thought 🙂 he could be stressed from moving habitats also.

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
We moved nubby into his own 4x2x2 tank a few weeks ago and ever since then, he's just... stopped eating. I can get him to eat maybe one super worms a day, if I'm lucky. He used to *love* his salads, eat every single bite. Now he won't touch it. Period. He's about 7 months and we're worried. He acts almost like he's afraid of everything, I sometimes can't even get him to eat hornworms. I don't know what to do, I know they slow down on bugs as they get older but he just doesn't want anything. We need a fecal sample for the vet because it's prolly parasites (nova and toothless have amoebas, nova has a human based one that can cause damage and toothless' is non specific so it's real important nova gets her meds) and I'm worried nubby is being ravaged by parasites but he's not eating so he's not really pooping. Usually a bath makes him go within minutes but nothing this time. What can I do to get him to eat and maybe go.?

His basking spot is a good 107ish, the ambient is reading 91. He basks, runs around, headbobs at the girls and toothless, I just don't understand why he won't eat. Before this started, he ate superworms, crickets, roaches, hornworms and his salad consists of kale, collards, mustards and turnip greens and he typically would eat every bite but not lately.
Is he losing weight? You can feed him baby food pumpkin and w/ a drop of olive oil and a drop of honey- feed till he poops

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Is he losing weight? You can feed him baby food pumpkin and w/ a drop of olive oil and a drop of honey- feed till he poops
Well half way through my post, he pooped so we'll know in a few days if he has them. I wouldn't be surprised, nova and Toothless do but Miko had nothing so I guess we'll see. I don't think so, but he may be loosing some, he looks like it a little but he has this ability to make his body look real slender, it's weird. I can't quite remember what he weighed last but today, he's 530g.

acidburn01

Sub-Adult Member
Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Toothless
Could be he's going through puberty 😕 your dragons grow fast so he may be more interested in breeding. Just a thought 🙂 he could be stressed from moving habitats also.
Would it still be affecting him this much a few weeks later.? It's been probably almost a month since we moved him. He's in the same spot in the room, and I even put the log he likes that was in his old tank in the new one but he just seems.. meh. But when I take him out, he still runs and headbobs and stuff. It's hard to make heads or tails and it stresses me out.

I've noticed they do grow pretty fast. We're pretty sure it's because we'd feed them three to four times a day in their first four months and kept their temps on the higher end. 😅 Dreki is the same age and already like 20 inches it's ridiculous

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Well half way through my post, he pooped so we'll know in a few days if he has them. I wouldn't be surprised, nova and Toothless do but Miko had nothing so I guess we'll see. I don't think so, but he may be loosing some, he looks like it a little but he has this ability to make his body look real slender, it's weird. I can't quite remember what he weighed last but today, he's 530g.
Were going into fall and he may be slowing because of the weather -- I got one thats not eating much either now or over the summer but this last spring he was eating a lot-- the only thing he seems to go for are the butter worms - hes even slowed on the super worms - when I offer him roaches he isnt having it - same w/ the salads

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Two times ago when i rearranged Ruby's setup she was like that till i put it back to similar. I took out the loose substrate and hide, gave her a hammock and platform to bask on and she wouldn't have any of it. I ended up putting the loose substrate back and gave her a shorter tighter hide with a sandstone top and she went back to normal. She pouted abd refused to eat or move much. The day i put it back she was her old self again. They can be darned finicky

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Were going into fall and he may be slowing because of the weather -- I got one thats not eating much either now or over the summer but this last spring he was eating a lot-- the only thing he seems to go for are the butter worms - hes even slowed on the super worms - when I offer him roaches he isnt having it - same w/ the salads
One of mine has slowed down too. All she'll eat are silks and occasionally a couple supers. She's napping a lot as well.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mangomom
Top Bottom