Possible Tail Rot?

Chris92

Photo Comp Winner
Hello all,

I just got a new bearded dragon on Saturday (Khonshu) after my last little guy (Drax) passed away. Upon bringing him home I noticed that he may have a bit of tail rot on the tip of his tail. I wanted some other opinions on this, please see attached pictures.

I have started home care (Betadine soaks and Neosporin, without pain relief, two times a day). I have also already set up a vet appointment for Monday... I decided to wait a week for the appointment in order to give home care a chance since the vet will most likely just cut off the tip of his tail. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Does home care have a shot at salvaging the tail, or should I just go earlier? Also, is cutting off the tip a "low-risk" procedure that actually has success eliminating the progression of this? Admittedly I am not familiar with tail rot as none of my dragons have ever had it. I should also mention that Khonshu is incredibly small and young (likely between 1 and 2 months), so I'm not sure if this should impact my decisions either.

Look forward to some feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_6971.jpg
    IMG_6971.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6950.jpg
    IMG_6950.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6940.jpg
    IMG_6940.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 76

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all,

I just got a new bearded dragon on Saturday (Khonshu) after my last little guy (Drax) passed away. Upon bringing him home I noticed that he may have a bit of tail rot on the tip of his tail. I wanted some other opinions on this, please see attached pictures.

I have started home care (Betadine soaks and Neosporin, without pain relief, two times a day). I have also already set up a vet appointment for Monday... I decided to wait a week for the appointment in order to give home care a chance since the vet will most likely just cut off the tip of his tail. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Does home care have a shot at salvaging the tail, or should I just go earlier? Also, is cutting off the tip a "low-risk" procedure that actually has success eliminating the progression of this? Admittedly I am not familiar with tail rot as none of my dragons have ever had it. I should also mention that Khonshu is incredibly small and young (likely between 1 and 2 months), so I'm not sure if this should impact my decisions either.

Look forward to some feedback.
Going to have AHBD help you w/ this
@AHBD

Members online

Latest resources

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom