Possible Tail Rot?

Chris92

Photo Comp Winner
Hello all,

I just got a new bearded dragon on Saturday (Khonshu) after my last little guy (Drax) passed away. Upon bringing him home I noticed that he may have a bit of tail rot on the tip of his tail. I wanted some other opinions on this, please see attached pictures.

I have started home care (Betadine soaks and Neosporin, without pain relief, two times a day). I have also already set up a vet appointment for Monday... I decided to wait a week for the appointment in order to give home care a chance since the vet will most likely just cut off the tip of his tail. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Does home care have a shot at salvaging the tail, or should I just go earlier? Also, is cutting off the tip a "low-risk" procedure that actually has success eliminating the progression of this? Admittedly I am not familiar with tail rot as none of my dragons have ever had it. I should also mention that Khonshu is incredibly small and young (likely between 1 and 2 months), so I'm not sure if this should impact my decisions either.

Look forward to some feedback.

Attachments

• IMG_6971.jpg
    IMG_6971.jpg
    250 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG_6950.jpg
    IMG_6950.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 82
  • IMG_6940.jpg
    IMG_6940.jpg
    236.5 KB · Views: 76

KarrieRee

BD.org Sicko
Beardie name(s)
Hiccup he is 6 and Blaze is 4
Hello all,

I just got a new bearded dragon on Saturday (Khonshu) after my last little guy (Drax) passed away. Upon bringing him home I noticed that he may have a bit of tail rot on the tip of his tail. I wanted some other opinions on this, please see attached pictures.

I have started home care (Betadine soaks and Neosporin, without pain relief, two times a day). I have also already set up a vet appointment for Monday... I decided to wait a week for the appointment in order to give home care a chance since the vet will most likely just cut off the tip of his tail. Do you guys think this is a good idea? Does home care have a shot at salvaging the tail, or should I just go earlier? Also, is cutting off the tip a "low-risk" procedure that actually has success eliminating the progression of this? Admittedly I am not familiar with tail rot as none of my dragons have ever had it. I should also mention that Khonshu is incredibly small and young (likely between 1 and 2 months), so I'm not sure if this should impact my decisions either.

Look forward to some feedback.
Going to have AHBD help you w/ this
@AHBD

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate
I miss you so much, Amaris 💔

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mnstorm07
Top Bottom