Possible RI, how do I ensure he’s okay tonight before I take him in tomorrow?

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Hi just a small update because I realized I never brought any of this up. But I got his bloodwork and fecal results on Friday, everything came back normal. So there’s nothing underlying the infection to worry about. And as for that, he’s already doing much better. He was still gaping yesterday, but he’s eating better and doing it less today. I took him out and he laid on my chest for a bit. It was good for both of us I think to calm down after the last few days. I’ll be giving him the antibiotics every other day for another 12 doses so a little less than a month. (It was 14 but they gave the first one the day of the vet appointment and I gave him the second yesterday.)

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Ok, is the juice needed or just a suggestion if he won’t drink? Cause the vet didn’t mention it.
It's not needed. Hydration is what's needed with any sickness, but especially with antibiotics. The juice small amount of juice is just to encourage them to drink, plus it provides a small amount of nutrients.

Making sure he's eating his salad with some hydrating items is a good idea too.

And are baths ok? I know they’re good for hydration but it seems risky here.
Baths are only good for hydration if the dragon actually drinks the bath water. Dragons don't absorb water through their skin or their vents.

And should I worry about his water bowl making the tank too humid and making him worse?
Does he actually drink out of his water bowel? Unless the tank isn't well ventilated, it probably doesn't contribute to the humidity very much. However, most people here don't use waterbowels in the tank for your main concern, and the fact that most dragons don't even use the water bowls in their enclosures.

Good news on the bloodwork. Can you post it up for us to see? With an RI, bacterial or viral, you'd still expect to see some markers in the bloodwork. Is your vet sure of an RI and not just something behavioral or environmental?

Gaping is normal, especially when basking or recently basking, after eating, etc. The throat pushes are normal too, sometimes they just want to stretch a bit.

RI's 99 times out of 100 will come with some form of lethargy, discharge from the nostrils and/or mouth, labored breathing, whistling or clicking while breathing, and a lack of appetite. So i'm curious what your vets reasoning is... unless there were symptoms you didn't mention in your first post.

-Brandon

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
It's not needed. Hydration is what's needed with any sickness, but especially with antibiotics. The juice small amount of juice is just to encourage them to drink, plus it provides a small amount of nutrients.

Baths are only good for hydration if the dragon actually drinks the bath water. Dragons don't absorb water through their skin or their vents.

Does he actually drink out of his water bowel? Unless the tank isn't well ventilated, it probably doesn't contribute to the humidity very much. However, most people here don't use waterbowels in the tank for your main concern, and the fact that most dragons don't even use the water bowls in their enclosures.

Good news on the bloodwork. Can you post it up for us to see? With an RI, bacterial or viral, you'd still expect to see some markers in the bloodwork. Is your vet sure of an RI and not just something behavioral or environmental?

-Brandon
Oh they didn’t send me the results, they simply called me and told me there wasn’t anything in them to worry about. I don’t have them. And yes she said he has an RI at the initial appointment when she prescribed the antibiotics. They might have meant nothing besides the RI, since I obviously already know about it since I was there. Though I admittedly didn’t hear everything they said super well cause they called me at work and It was very busy. I just remembered they said to keep him hydrated and warm and to give him his antibiotics and he’d be fine in no time.

Claudiusx

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Well you paid for it, so you are entitled to the copy of the results if you want. Maybe they just meant the blood results didn't surprise them, and they saw what they expected out of an RI.

Either way, it is always appreciated if people are willing to post their results on the forums, it helps people in the future know what to expect, and sometimes it even allows us to review it and note something that the vet might have missed such as the beginning of gout or another health concern.

Hopefully your dragon is back to normal in no time.

-Brandon

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Well you paid for it, so you are entitled to the copy of the results if you want. Maybe they just meant the blood results didn't surprise them, and they saw what they expected out of an RI.

Either way, it is always appreciated if people are willing to post their results on the forums, it helps people in the future know what to expect, and sometimes it even allows us to review it and note something that the vet might have missed such as the beginning of gout or another health concern.

Hopefully your dragon is back to normal in no time.

-Brandon
I understand, but I’m sorry, I’m not comfortable sharing the bloodwork results here. Even if I get them. I hope you can understand.

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex

Gaping is normal, especially when basking or recently basking, after eating, etc. The throat pushes are normal too, sometimes they just want to stretch a bit.

RI's 99 times out of 100 will come with some form of lethargy, discharge from the nostrils and/or mouth, labored breathing, whistling or clicking while breathing, and a lack of appetite. So i'm curious what your vets reasoning is... unless there were symptoms you didn't mention in your first post.

-Brandon
Also I’m sorry I wasn’t clearer, he wasn’t just gaping normally, he was gaping on the cool side of his tank and it was coupled with visibly labored breathing and he wasn’t eating much before. (Hence why I was happy he ate better today.) the vet also said he had a lot of excess mucus in his mouth among other symptoms. I’m sorry for being vague.

xp29

BD.org Addict
Photo Comp Winner
Beardie name(s)
Zen , Ruby ,Snicker Doodles, Sweet Pea, Sinatra
Also I’m sorry I wasn’t clearer, he wasn’t just gaping normally, he was gaping on the cool side of his tank and it was coupled with visibly labored breathing and he wasn’t eating much before. (Hence why I was happy he ate better today.) the vet also said he had a lot of excess mucus in his mouth among other symptoms. I’m sorry for being vague.
Thick saliva is an indicator of dehydration also. The best way to hydrate them is by using an eyedropper to drip water on their nose.

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

That's great, so he is doing better now? I'm glad to hear he is improving now. Excess saliva or mucous
is an indicator of respiratory issues most of the time.
I would take any water bowl out especially overnight. They can fall asleep in them & drown & it will raise
the humidity levels sometimes as well.
The baths aren't necessary, though some really like them. Just drip water onto his nose for hydration. I
had mentioned juice just as an option for flavor or hydration. You can dilute it some if you use it.

Tracie

Worrywart

Original Poster
Beardie name(s)
Alex
Hello,

That's great, so he is doing better now? I'm glad to hear he is improving now. Excess saliva or mucous
is an indicator of respiratory issues most of the time.
I would take any water bowl out especially overnight. They can fall asleep in them & drown & it will raise
the humidity levels sometimes as well.
The baths aren't necessary, though some really like them. Just drip water onto his nose for hydration. I
had mentioned juice just as an option for flavor or hydration. You can dilute it some if you use it.

Tracie
Hi! Yes he’s been doing better. I appreciate your help very much. I took the water bowl out once I first saw symptoms I was just wondering if I should put it back in. Glad to know it’s not needed. I’ll probably go out today and get some foods to help hydrate him. (Hornworms, celery cause we’re out and need some anyway, cucumber, stuff like that.)

Members online

No members online now.

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom