Possible Prolapse, Urgent Advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

craig0ss

Hi there

i have just come home to find my beardy very black beareded, so i got him out to say hello an i noticed blood in the tank an a small runny poo away from the blood, i look at his vent an there is what looks like a kidney bean sized almost black thing (i presume intestine) hangin out of him, which is also covered in blood

any ideas, suggestions, advise would be great, its late here now so no vet till tomoz at the ealyest, i live in the middle of no where eh

please help

thanks

craig0ss

cricket119

Hatchling Member
I am not sure. I think I read on here to keep the area on a damp paper towel, but I am not positive. Wait until someome more experienced can tell you. Maybe PM a moderatoer or read old posts about this. Good luck, Chris

Tigg

Juvie Member
First things first whatever you do, DO NOT TRY TO PUSH IT BACK IN! You will risk damaging other internal organs without the proper knowledge of what you are doing.

Secondly book a vet visit asap, if left exposed to too long it can dry out, become necrotic, infection can spread and ultimately lead to the death of your pet.

Until you are able to see they vet you will need to get rid of any loose substrate that you may have in the enclosure and as the other used suggested place damp paper towel to keep the prolapse moist.

You can also try bathing your beardie in a sugar/water mix. This can sometimes help with the swelling of the prolapse and help your beardie retract it on it's own.

A picture of the prolapse would help to distinguish what type it is.

craig0ss

Original Poster
hi

thanks for the reply, i have already given him a bath an its gone back in, i think he may have a blockage of some sorts causing him to "force" his poop out, i have seen him eat by accident some wood chipens when he grabs his locusts, i think this may be causing it, however he has passed since i seen him do this and i though he was ok as i saw some wood pieces in the bath when he poops in there.

i will monitor him closly over the next few days an get him to a vet asap, although that might be a few days before im able to, my substrate is all wood chipins so ill get them out asap as well just incase it happens again an im not here.

Hes not been him self recently as i think hes been in brumation, hes been in his box alot, days at a time without any basking, is it wise to let him still go in there or should he be basking, obviously hes not eating as much as normal and he still wont eat his veg, hes 11 months old at the moment, i have tried to get him onto veg by not feeding him any live food, but after 10+ days he then wouldnt eat his locusts much either which is when he started going into his hide alot, this is the are im not sure on what to do, do i leave him to do what he wants?

thanks

Tigg

Juvie Member
Considering his age (11mos) and the time of year, I would say it's less likely Brumation, and more likely his health is not 100%...

Wood chips are extremely dangerous to juvinile bearded dragons, and I am glad to hear you will be removing them!

You need to get your beardie to the vet for a check up, and you will want to bring a fresh fecal sample with you to have tested for parasites. And you will most likely want to have x rays done to ensure everything is ok with the prolapse. If there was blood in the stool, the vet will most likely want to determine how much damage that wood chip did your your BD's insides.

In case he is impacted, you may want to stop feeding locusts and move to a soft food such as chicken or turkey baby food until the vet tells you he is ok. you will also want to make sure you keep him hydrated with baths and water through a dropper.

haymorpaula2003

I have a beardie whose hemipenis won't retract or it could be a prolapse I am not sure.. I have soaked him in sugar water (warm) and used vaseline and still nothing. He is still eating a drinking like normal but I am worried about the thing sticking out of him that just won't go back in. I don't have the money to take him to the vet and would like to help him out without having to go that route. Any advice would be much appreciated.

munchkins9802

Gray-bearded Member
Please get your beardie to the vet---I know u said no money but find a way to have someone loan you the money. A prolapse, I believe can be dangerous if not treated and definitely do NOT in anyway try to push it back in yourself

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoonBug
Top Bottom