Possible problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Preezy

So I've posted on here just about every other month trying to find a solution to Drake's crazy behavior. Hes a 2 year old beardie..about 21" in length. A couple months ago I bought him a custom sliding glass door enclosure. Dimension are 4ft x 2ft x 2ft and all white enterior. My problem is that Drake never wants to stay in it..like ever. Every morning when the lights come on he immediately begins to glass surf. Sometimes he even tries jumping/climbing up the back wall of the enclosure. He'll go crazy until I let him out...where he'll run around and plop himself somewhere to fall asleep. He always looks so depressed to be inside. I use a Reptisun T5 High Output Uvb bulb with a reflector covering a little more than half his enclosure..and a halogen flood light for his basking spot..temps going to around 102 on his basking side and around 85 on the cool side. I'll include a picture.

I seriously don't know what to do to make him happy. I sometimes cant even feed him until hes calmed down outside of the tank. I feed him collard greens, squash, and superworms every 3 days. Hes full of energy which is good..but I'm concerned that I may have done something wrong with his enclosure? I dont understand why he doesnt like it in there. Anyone have any suggestions? Could it be the uvb bulb being a High output maybe?
full

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Some of them are just really active and want to patrol constantly. My guy is the same way. I always feel badly when I have to keep him in his tank. He has the same reaction with the glass surfing and pacing. I let him roam around the house whenever I am home and he just patrols between his portable basking lights. He seems to enjoy that although he'll often surf the walls of the house too. I'll let him out but I'm not buying a bigger house for him :lol:

Preezy

Original Poster
CooperDragon":3m5wy4tf said:
Some of them are just really active and want to patrol constantly. My guy is the same way. I always feel badly when I have to keep him in his tank. He has the same reaction with the glass surfing and pacing. I let him roam around the house whenever I am home and he just patrols between his portable basking lights. He seems to enjoy that although he'll often surf the walls of the house too. I'll let him out but I'm not buying a bigger house for him :lol:

You have portable basking lights?? Also you dont see a problem with my tank? Is the UVB too much or too high or what?

CooperDragon

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Basking temps are good. The T5 with reflector should be making a nice UVB gradient across the tank. If it's 12-14'' above the main basking area it should be producing daylight levels of UVB. I don't see a problem there. It's fairly similar to my setup in that regard.

I have three portable basking lights. One in the kitchen is a 100w MegaRay MVB for heat and UVB set at about 14'' above the ground with a basking rock under it. One in the dining room is a regular halogen basking light for just heat set to about 105 at the center. One in the living room is another 100w MegaRay that is set 12'' off the ground. He moves between them over the course of the day and will return to them to warm up when he wants to.

Living room
76248-2881195503.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Mirage came out of brumation on April 26. He was doing great. On May 2 he started acting funny. We just redid his tank, and he keeps going into one of his hides. He just lays there. He shows no intrest in food. HELP!
is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stump5150!
Top Bottom