Possible photo-kerato-conjunctivitis and dehydration

Status
Not open for further replies.

shaninja

Hello, all,

I have a juvenile beardie about 4 months old. We got him about three-four weeks ago. Two days ago, his right eye began staying shut. He can open it when I bathe him and put the eye drops in, but he's been favoring having it closed. I thought it may be photo-kerato-conjunctivitis due to the fact that he had been pretty close to his uvb lamp and being my first beardie, I didn't realize that this could harm him. I've since switched off the lamp but still have his basking and light lamp set up. I'm not sure if it is PKC though. However, today, I noticed that his skin seems a little wrinkly around his belly so I gave him a bath. He won't drink water though and he's really not interested in eating today...only gave him one cricket so far and some veggies this morning. We don't have a herp vet in the area...just regular vets. I've been trying to get him to drink with no luck and I really don't know what to do. Please help me!

daner923

Gray-bearded Member
What kind of UVB are you using? It is possible that it is PKC, so leave any UVB off for a week before making sure you have the right kind, set up the right way. As for the drinking - most dragons never drink standing water. As long as you give him baths every 1-2 days at that age, he should stay hydrated by absorbing it through his vent. The bath should be shoulder high, lukewarm water for 15 minutes or so!

shaninja

Original Poster
I'm using a mercury vapor bulb called solar glo by exo-terra. As far as I've read, I can't seem to find anybody else that has ever had problems with it. Are you familiar with the brand?

Drache613

BD.org Sicko
Staff member
Hello,

The Solar Glo MVB "should" be ok, as long as it is placed far enough away, at 12 or so inches. Do you have the 100 or higher wattage?
I did test a couple earlier in the year though which had too high of UVI so it is possible it could be a bad bulb.
I would be happy to test it for you if you would like to rule out the possibility.
How do his eyes look?
You are using sterile saline solution right now for his eye?

Tracie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staff online

Members online

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding
Finally replaced Swordtail's substrate

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TCRay_AAAa
Top Bottom