Possible mold please help..........

Status
Not open for further replies.

JubJubLizard

Hatchling Member
Hi our eggs are 6 days old and we were having trouble keeping the humidity up the best we could get it to was 65 and some of our egg were slightly dented. So we replaced the lids which had 5 drilled holes the size of a pencil with lids that have no holes. The humidity has been right around 85-87 and no dents in fact the eggs look great some have already grown. While I was looking through the top of the incubator today it appears that 2 of the eggs have a small bit of mold (gray and a little fuzzy) other than that they look great as far as color, size, plump, and you can clearly see with your eye the red spot with the squiggles no candleing needed. So what can I do? Will these eggs be lost :( I feel horrible! Should I go back to having some holes in the lid and what is a good humidity. I thought due to the dents I needed to up the humidity and it seems I have made things worse. Any info is greatly appreciated.

Hey there. Are you monitoring the humidity in the incubator itself or the sealed containers? I keep my probe in the incubator and keep the humidity 85-90 & mine have been ok. As far as the eggs, try wiping off the mold gently and seperate them from the others. They can still be ok. Also, I would go ahead and change out the substrate just to be safe. How wet is your vermiculite? You don't want it too wet. Keep an eye on the others just to make sure that the mold didn't spread. Also you could try changing the lids but taping over a few of the holes. Hope the babies are ok. Let me know what happens.

JubJubLizard

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
beardedmama":d0404 said:
Hey there. Are you monitoring the humidity in the incubator itself or the sealed containers? I keep my probe in the incubator and keep the humidity 85-90 & mine have been ok. As far as the eggs, try wiping off the mold gently and seperate them from the others. They can still be ok. Also, I would go ahead and change out the substrate just to be safe. How wet is your vermiculite? You don't want it too wet. Keep an eye on the others just to make sure that the mold didn't spread. Also you could try changing the lids but taping over a few of the holes. Hope the babies are ok. Let me know what happens.

Hi again and thanks for the reply. I'm monitoring the incubator humidity and it stays about 80-85. We went ahead with a few holes again.
I guess I will just have to wait and see now. Did you ever have mold with any of your eggs? If so are they ok now?

How are your eggs doing I know that you are expecting them to hatch end of this month..........how is mama anymore eggs? Jub-Jub is doing great, she is eating like a pig non-stop everyday. Guess she is putting back in what the eggs took out of her. Well thanks again for the reply and I hope all is great on your end : O)

I did have one egg that had mold and he/she is doing just fine. Just keep monitoring them and make sure to open the lids weekly to give them fresh air. Just for a minute.
Our 1st clutch is getting so big. Not much longer and they should be making their entrance. Bonni is doing great. Although she looks huge,I haven't seen any signs of digging yet, but it's still possible that she may have more(I hope not).
Well, I will keep my fingers crossed for you. Keep me updated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Panthercat
Top Bottom