Possible MBD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Hey, it's the worrier again. :oops:

As many of you know, many of the books I've read on beardies never specified a UVB light, so Shenron's been going six-seven years without one. This is his first full day with it, and already he is much more active, jumping around from branch to branch. He's never shown any sign of MBD, yet today, after getting a real good look at him, I noticed a very slight dip near the bottom of his tail near his vent. While it is not prominant, could this be the start of MBD or is this just normal and me worrying too much (he's going for a vet check-up tomorrow,hopefully)? He is not limp when I hold him.

DSC00328.jpg

zimbabwepegasus

Extreme Poster
If there are no visible signs (twisted limbs, misaligned jaw, trouble walking), only a vet can determine the strength of your beardie's bones. He can do an x-ray and look for bone density. Honestly, my personal opinion is that providing high quality UVB (in short a MVB) and getting proper calcium into Swank is your best bet.

After that, you're sorta lookin' at calcium injections, which I've never heard of being used in non-obvious cases of MBD. And from the pic provided, Swank looks fine, nice fat belly :D . MBD results from insufficient calcium absorption, so it's really a bone issue- if he's running around, it's certainly not a bad case, if present at all. His legs look strong and I'm not sure what dip you are talking about, but I don't see anything wrong.

Eventide

Hatchling Member
If I'm looking at the same "dip" as you are, then those are just his manly parts (nothing to worry about). :D

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Okay, thank you. That's what I thought they were, but with seven years without a UVB light, I wasn't sure. Especially since I'm going back to college, I wanted to cover all my bases since I'll be two hours away. Thanks again.

LJean

Extreme Poster
Have you ever taken him outside?

He looks quite healthy to me. If he had developed MBD I think you would see many signs of it by now. (like those mentioned in a previous post)

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
I never have taken him outside. It's WAY too cold in the winter, and in the summer, we used pesticides on our lawn, plus we have three families of hawks living in the back yard. The hawks aren't a big deal because I doubt they'll come and swoop down and take him while I'm standing there, but the pesticides might be a problem. Should I?

LJean

Extreme Poster
I wouldn't trust those hawks, LOL

I was just curious because you said he never had a UVB light. We see dragons on the forums who have not had any UVB for only a few months develop MBD and become sick. I thought maybe you were taking him outside often. :)

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Well, he was in a room with these large glass bay windows that opened out onto the backyard that let in a lot of sunlight, so that may be why. Either that, or Shenron is an EXTREMELY lucky dragon. :silent:

LJean

Extreme Poster
Very lucky indeed! LOL
Glass doesn't let the UVB through. Even with the windows open the screen (if there was a screen) would also block much of the UVB (and then that light would have to get into the top of the tank, LOL)

It's awesome he is doing well. :)

mpinsky

Hatchling Member
Original Poster
Actually, now that I think about it, it could because we may have unwittingly put in MVB bulbs in one of the two lights we had, thinking it was another basking light to put more heat in the cage. Let's just hope Shenron's luck holds. Besides, aren't dragons (Chinese zodiac-wise) supposed to gifted by the power of luck?

Anyways, he has a UVB source now, so all is well. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Still Needs Help

Latest resources

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

is tape safe for fixing something in my leopard geckos hide?
Day 3 of brumation. It's a struggle. I really miss my little guy. 😔
Mirage entered brumation yesterday, I'm gonna miss hanging out with my little guy.
Getting ready for another day. Feeling sleepy. 😴
I just walked into my room and instead of looking at me, Swordtail's eyes darted directly to the ice cream drumstick I'm holding

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nhacaiuytinco1
Top Bottom